Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Mullett?

Options
Muddy
Muddy Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A newbie egghead here...sort of, bought my Large BGE in mid-December.

Does anyone have any smoked mullett experience and or recipies?

I've used the search engine on here with no luck :(

I love smoked mullett and plan on doing some before watching the Daytona 500.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Muddy
Jax, FL

Comments

• BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    any smoked. Is the flavor noticably different?
  • Muddy
    Options
    IMHO smoked mullett is way better than fried! I love fried mullett too.

Have been smoking mullett since I was a teenager.

Just have never tried to in my BGE.

Smoked mullett dip is to die for! You'll never want smoked salmon after you've had smoked mullett!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have never smoked Mullett, but have somked a lot of Kingfish and Spanish Mackeral. I use an electric smoker (Luhr Jenson) for fish. I brine for 12 to 24 hours and then rinse fiellets and season with Chef Pauls Seafood Magic then in the smoker for 12 to 18 hours. The process i use is smoke curing and not cooking. The electric smoker uses hickory sawdust and is not very hot.
    I would keep the egg as low temp as possible and just go for it. Please let us know how it turns out.
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    We use to cold smoke mullet years ago but I've never tried any cold smoking on the egg. Your right mullet is great that way. If I remember right, which isn't that often, temp was about 140 for 24 plus hrs.
  • Coach Egghead
    Options
    Muddy,

I grew up West Coast of Florida gigging mullet- You have to get fresh fish. Never frozen! I brine the mullet in a mix of peppercorns, brown sugar and garlic for a 12 hours, then smoke with hickory but you can use any-

It's best made into a dip with lemon, worchestshire and mayo-

forrest
  • Muddy
    Options
    Jim, Pat & Forrest thanks for the replies!

Got a fish monger down the road with some he caught yesterday.

Guess I'm gonnd do a quick 2-hour brine, and then put them on at 180---200 with the plate setter and a pan of beer.

Hey the fish is a deal at $1.50/pound butterflied, so what do I have to loose ;)

Craig
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Brine them if you have the time. Either way,Head them, butterfly them from the dorsal to the belly leaving the bottom of the fish intact. I like to spray the flesh with vegetable oil, and then season with lemon pepper. Put them on indirect at a temp no higher than 250F. I use hickory or oak for smoke. It will take a few hours. This is one case where the larger the fish, the better.

I also like to use something that makes it easy to remove to fish from the grill and have it not stick. You can use foil, or even constantly move the fish slightly around on the grill to prevent sticking. Oiling you grill will help too. HTH.

This a fun cook that'll give big returns. You'll do great!

DSCI0063.jpg

DSCI0081.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Those look good Todd. If we don't catch anything next month I might have to take Steve out and castnet up a bunch.
  • Muddy
    Options
    Now that looks good! Thanks was wondering if I could go 250. Will let ya'll know my results.

Muddy
  • Big'un
    Options
    Just remember I said "no higher than 250F.Haha.
  • Big'un
    Options
    If you want to bring some to ocala, I'd be happy to pay you for some to take home.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Have never smoked mullet but I've done plenty of other fish. I follow the method set forth here http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm.

I smoked about 50 pounds of mackerel 3 weeks ago. Turned out great!
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    How do you get the redneck to hold still while you smoke his hair? :woohoo:
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    nice looking fish my friend!
    i always thought a mullet was a hair style none less a fish?? guess you learn something new everyday. :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    If I get any Todd you got em.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Great link, thanks Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Muddy
    Options
    Got 2 big mullett and a spanish mac cooking at 220!
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    You're welcome. I refer to their site all the time. I make the fish dip recipe all the time. I use Mackerel which is an oily fish. So I don't know how it would turn out with using mullet.
  • Muddy
    Options
    Great webb site thanks!
  • Muddy
    Options

Nice, nice one! :silly: :lol:
  • Big'un
    Options
    Mullet is also an oily fish so it would well too.
  • Big'un
    Options
    Sounds good. Please take some pics.
  • GB Packers Fan
    Options
    I just wanted to let you know that the carnivore sauce is awesome. Anne and I are looking forward to seeing you in Ocala. I have had all kinds of fish smoked, but not mullett. My personal favorite is smoked wahoo.
    Del
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    We have a place in St. Pete Beach, FL called Ted Peters Smoked Fish which has been in business for 50 + years. They make an awesome smoked mullet spread, which I have been duplicating at home.

Here's the recipe for the spread:

With fork, break up fish to a fine texture. Add finely chopped sweet onion, finely chopped celery, sweet pickle relish to taste, and Mayo, S & P. Make it as mayonaisy as you like it. Serve it on Saltines (no other cracker will do!) along with Crystal hot sauce.
    A classic!! Everyone loves it!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Big'un
    Options
    Hi Faith,
    We go to Ted Peters all the time when we get down there. I love their spread too. Thanks for the recipe!
  • Big'un
    Options
    Thanks Del for the kind words. We are looking forward to seeing yall too.
  • Muddy
    Options
    4 hours at 180 and my son's have picked them clean :laugh:

If you have never done mullett...try it!

Of all the ways I've smoked mullett in the past the BGE is far and above the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for hanging in there with me :cheer:
  • Big'un
    Options
    Glad it was a good cook! Where's the pics?
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    Smoked mullet is fantastic! here is a website that has all kinds of mullet recipes. These people are PRO'S!!

www.mulletfestival.com/Recipes/Smoked%20Mullet.htm

Enjoy! I used to live near Niceville; I lived on the intracoastal waterway and back then BEFORE the netban, I would catch some of the best MULLET that I have ever eaten. I would fillet them and deep fry them after coating them with cornmeal/flour, salt and pepper to taste---ummm--good! Smoked mullet is great also; try the mullet spread recipe also on crackers...this site has all of the recipes. If you are ever in the panhandle of Florida in October; you need to schedule a visit during the Mullet Festival. That's Niceville, Fl.
    near Destin and Ft Walton Beach, Fl.

Good Luck, let me know how your mullet turns out...
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    amen to smoked mullet!!! People don't know what they are missing!! I could live on Mullet; ha, may have to if the economy doesn't get better..getting ready to plant some taters and maters..come on Spring..the mullet are running, grab your net!