Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon-Wrapped Filet Mignons & the T-Rex Method

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seven of these to cook and would like to use the method recommended by T-Rex. Has anyone tried this with bacon-wrapped filet mignons? I'm worried that the bacon might vaporise at the high temperatures - not to mention the toothpicks that are pinning the bacon to the beef! Hint & tips appreciated.[p]Regards to all.[p]

--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Fairalbion, Just my opinion, but any grilling technique calling for bacon is improved by substituting prosciutto.

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Forgot to add that the method you intend to use causes flare ups and flashbacks. Prosciutto would reduce this in comparison to bacon.
  • Frozen Chosen
    Frozen Chosen Posts: 131
    Options
    Fairalbion,
    Filets should be 3 1/2 inces thick; no more, no less. Sprinkle with original CharCrust, slather with yellow mustard, marinate overnight. Cook rare (a good vet should be able to save it) at 650F for 3,3,3. Serve with salt only. Baked potato is ok, but only real side dish should be a martini. As for the bacon, give it to your dog early in the process. Enjoy.

• Slim
    Slim Posts: 44
    Options
    Frozen Chosen, 3.5" thick?? That's not a filet....that's a roast. Wow.

• Charcoal Mike
    Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
    Options
    Fairalbion,[p]I do these all the time - just recently with T-Rex's method, but always with a hot hot sear. Normally, my toothpicks turn out burned on the edges, sometimes I even have to hunt for them, but the bacon turns out fantastic. Sometimes the bacon does overcook (OK, burn) in spots, but usually that's just a small portion of the total piece.[p]Also, I use a raised grid for nearly everything, so that may reduce a bit of the charring that you may get at the regular height.[p]And 3 1/2 inches thick ? Jeez thats a big steak. Mine are usually two - I buy a whole tenderloin at Sam's, and have them cut them in 2" steaks. I then take them home, trim, wrap in bacon (without the toothpicks - add those before they cook), and use the foodsaver to freeze.[p]Hope this helps -[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    Slim,
    truthfully, it might vary by 1/2 inch or more depending on if you flatten the steak somewhat. I love the presentation of a monolith of meat, but often have to split it between 2 people.

• Fairalbion
    Fairalbion Posts: 141
    Options
    Many thanks for your replies.
    --
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)