Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza cheese

Options
canada rib boy
canada rib boy Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
can anyone tell me how to melt the cheese on a pizza cooked on the egg. The pizza are good but the cheese just does not melt

Comments

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    Hi!

There is post in the past day or so that comments on how pre-shredded cheese is covered in cornstarch and will not "spread" properly.

Assuming that you are NOT using a pre-shredded cheese ...
    Are you cooking above the felt line?
    The higher in the dome, the more likely the top will melt.
    Oter eggsperts and amici will, no doubt, be more helpful.

Later,
    Peter
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    Well for starters how are cooking it?
    Pizza stone , temps, plate setter, etc.? :huh:
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    To melt cheese (& properly cook the toppings), your egg must be properly pre-heated to an appropriate temperature, if you do so, the cheese will melt; what is your temperature & your method?

Here is an example of a pizza cooked at about 500 degrees for about 10 minutes on a stone that is ontop of a plateseter legs down. The stone was preheated at least 20-30 minutes. Regarding the shredded vs. shred your own cheese, I use the pre-shredded & it melts as you can see in the picture, you will however, get less of that cheese stretch, the stringy stuff that connects pieces together... if you use the pre-shredded, like omba said

IMG_1605.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    Zippy,

Thanks for clarifying things for me. That pizza looks melted to me.
    Just curious ... Why legs down vs. up?

Thanks,
    Peter
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I have noticed that if the setter is legs up, the flames have a tendency to curl up around it then hit your stone directly, giving an uneven heat, if the legs are down & the stone is ontop of the setter with just a little air gap (which some members do not think is necessary & I really don't know either way, I just do it to be on the safe side), then you get a much more even heat on the stone. The top picture is my current set-up, using an extra set of egg feet for the gap, the lower picture is when I used some plumbing fittings as spacers:

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Little Steven
    Options
    canada rib boy,

How are you setting up? Platesetter, raised grid and like that?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nucman
    Nucman Posts: 59
    Options
    That same setup works for me. I got the info from one of the wonderful eggsperts here.

Shredded Cheese
    DSC_7639.jpg

Melted Cheese
    DSC_7640.jpg

Evenly Cooked Crust
    DSC_7651.jpg

Great Tasting Pizza
    DSC_7652.jpg
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I do mine "legs down" too with the stone atop the plate setter. I have NEVER had a bad, poor...otherwise...result. :)
    OTOH, there may be something with fresh shredded / sliced and pre-shredded as to meltability! Is that a word? Must be!
    But get the pie "higher" in the dome and all should be right in your Pizze World!
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options

There is post in the past day or so that comments on how pre-shredded cheese is covered in cornstarch and will not "spread" properly.

I checked the regular bags of preshredded cheese at the store yesterday - potato starch and powdered cellulose added to prevent caking. I'll bet these bind with the moisture and fat in the cheese and prevent proper melting. The Grande shredded East Coast blend I have from PennMac has no such additives, and it's definitely stickier - like freshly grated/shredded mozzarella.

http://www.pennmac.com/page/27

I've also had troubles with really fresh (homemade) mozzarella melting out correctly. Mine seems to just get "fluffy" when it's baked. I've decided to save the homemade stuff for salad caprese.
    Egging in Crossville, TN