Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning the V rack

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked my first brisket today and used the vrack for the first time. Brisket is in ice chest now, will eat it in a bit. My wife is complaining about how difficult the vrack was to wash. Any tricks here? I cook, she cleans is our usual deal, but if its to much of a PITA, I get stuck with it. I suggested soaking, but she's not a fan of that.

thanks

Comments

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Dishwasher works for me but then I don't get too excited about cleaning it..

Spaceman Spiff
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    A good soak may be the best thing.

Dawn power dissolver is a good product to use.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    glousteau,

You can burn it clean in a hot egg but the chrome will discolour. For bad messes I use Zep orange clean, dish soap and OxyClean in hot water but it does have to soak.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    My question is why did you use the v-rack on a brisket?

It fits nice on the grate and your wife doesn't need to clean it.

My deal is if I use it outside in my cooker then I will clean so she doesn't have too.. :lol:
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    I soak everything, including cooking grid, in plain water overnight and have no problem scrubbing them off with powder laundry detergent.
    canuckland
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The trick is to really lube it up before the cook. Don't mess with something like olive oil, go with a good coat of Crisco.

I'm with Celtic Wolf, you don't need it for a brisket. In fact, I haven't used mine for years.....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I fill the sink with hot soapy water and throw the rib rack, tongs, and everything else in. After eating cleanup is a breeze.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    I agree with those who suggest soaking overnight - that usually loosens all but the worst. But you might also consider, prior to the cook, giving it a good spray of PAM or some other oil - I usually do it outside over the grass because so much misses the rack.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the only time i would use a vrack is if im cooking a half dozen racks of ribs with the vrack upsidedown and ribs standing. other than that just cook your brisket, butt, beef roast, chicken etc on the grill. i will never understand why people cant let something soak in a sink, like it really needs to be clean right now and i want to work extra hard at it. if you dont use it, noone has to clean it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it