Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

recieved BGE as Gift . no manual

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Big Green Egg® Cookbook & Manual. How do I get one?

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Rudy,
    This forum is far better at answering questions than the manual. I just bought my second and told my dealer he could keep it.
    Several of the folks here have great websites: go to the member profile section and look for TimM; gfw; The Naked Whiz to name a few. Those sites should get you started.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Rudy,
    Just so you understand Tim's post, there actually is an Owner's Manual and Cookbook. However, it is so useless, it is just as if there wasn't one. Some folks here refer to it as the "jokebook". Like Tim says, if you have questions, ask here and we'll help. One thing you should do before you use it the first time (since you don't have the video or the "jokebook") is view my webpage on Flashback. See the link below. Basically, if you heat the Egg up real hot (above 500 degrees or so) and then shut off the air supply and then open the lid you can get a real surprise. See my webpage for details. You'll be glad you did.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Website[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    fl3.jpg
    <p />Rudy,
    And just in case you are wondering what I was talking about regarding Flashback, here is a photo of what can happen. [p]WARNING: Do not attempt this at home. This demonstration was performed by a professional on a closed course.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Rudy, There are only 3 things of any value-actually only 2 1/2 in that manual.
    1. The page on how to calibrate your dome thermometer so once you've mastered that refer to #3
    2. The warranty card is in the back and unless you have another proof of purchase that is worth send in.
    3. Some people use paper to start their fire so rip out the pages of the "joke book" and start your fires.[p]Seriously...I was serious! This web site and those of our cult who are into web sites of their own, and this friendly forum is all you'll ever need. Ever hear of the Butterball Thanksgiving Help Line??? Well, "the BGE Cult" forum is with you 365 days!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Rudy,[p]Getting an egg as a gift, you probably don't realize it now, but you have one of the best material posessions you'll ever own. As for the owners manual or cookbook, forget it. It's absolutely worthless. The most important thing is learning how to stabilize your dome temps. Once you've achieved that, you can cook anything. [p]Let me give what I think are two basic and very loose rules of thumb. To achieve high temps for things like steaks, after you get the coals going, you will want to have the bottom vent wide open and remove the daisy wheel or the top cap. It will take about 15 minutes to achieve a dome temp of 700 degrees. [p]On lower temp cooks for things like ribs you will again want the bottom vent wide open after the coals are lit, with your daisy wheel in place. You will want the small openings on your daisy wheel open all the way. Keep an eye on your dome temp and once the temperature approaches 200 degrees you will want to adjust only the bottom vent at first. I usually start by closing the bottom vent almost all the way leaving maybe a 1 inch opening. Again your egg will approach the desired dome temp in as little as fifteen minutes depending upon your set up.[p]Speaking of set up, there are different ways of setting up your cooker and imo, a good place to start is reading over some of the recipes at the top of this forum. Many give detailed instructions on cooking time, temps, and how to set up the egg. Good Luck, and Happy Egging.
  • Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Rudy,[p]After reading my post I left out an important note. Once you get your coals going, you will want to shut the lid on the egg ASAP. I use an electric starter and it takes about 7 minutes for the coals to get going. Once the coals are going and you close the lid, you then want to adjust the bottom vent and daisy wheel according to my instructions.
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Rudy,
    First thing is you dont want the manual.
    Get your operating instructions here, the manual will have you burning food to a crisp. If you recieve one throw it away. This is an honest answer any the old pros around here will back me up.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Rudy,
    I agree with all other posts regarding the uselessness of the manual. However, the manual does contain the warranty registration card, and for that reason you need to have one if your egg is new. Unfortunately, if you were to order a manual from BGE, it won't come with a registration card - only manuals that come with a new egg have the card. If you did not get a warranty card, call BGE and see if you can register it over the phone.