Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Butt Cook---The Beginning

Options
Desert Oasis Woman
Desert Oasis Woman Posts: 5,604
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
applewood and Cowboy lump (really small pieces)
7a egg readied
720 fire going
740 meat on with plate setter 250F range with daisy partially (1/2)closed
10 approacing 300F, dampened lower vent and daisy 1/4
11 still near 300F, dampened lower vent some more

photo attempts!

butts prepped nothing added
Dec29Eggcook2butts001.jpg

fire prepped with applewood
Dec29Eggcook2butts002.jpg

Miko prepped :whistle:
Dec29Eggcook2butts004.jpg

:evil: let's get smokin'
Dec29Eggcook2butts005.jpg

Comments

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Looking great so far. Can't wait till the finished photos and I bet your dog will be ready for some leftovers too.
  • you may want to throw some more lump in there, doesn't look like enough to go the distance
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :ohmy: gtanks, will let you know when this one goes!
    still on steep learning curve :ermm:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Looks like you're ready, but I got to agree that you likely won't have enough lump if that is all you used to start with.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Looks like you are off to a great start but I have to agree with the rest. Its a whole lot easer to start with enough lump than to have to add more later.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    More lump, more lump, more lump.....

What about seasoning?? At least get some salt and pepper on those bad boys.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    I thought the lump was at the top of the firering by eyeball, but sure doen't look it in picture
    will add more now :(
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Okay, put lots more lump into firering--about 1.5" from top. Had to relight, but starter kept going out with draft, finally took...added Florida Pepper and Coarse ground Sea Salt...babies tender alread (140 internal)...should I put them back on V-rack in pan or go directly to grate over platesetter???
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    If I'm seeing right, it looks as though you've got 4 butts crammed together. From what I've learned, this will cause them to cook like 2 large butts, significantly increasing your cookin' time. I usually do mine indirect on the grid over the inverted plate setter (legs up) with a drip pan containing some liquid (apple juice/cider mix, beer, water, or whatever). I don't know what your schedule for serving is but I'm thinking that you need to do some planning ahead.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    If you do go straight on the grate with the butts, put some kind of drip pan underneath sitting on the plate setter.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I would keep them in the rack over the pan unless you have something to serve as a drip pan that you can place on the setter under the grid.

Keep those temps low - the journey to 140 is quick, it's the last 50-60* that take so long.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    only 2 butts
    not planning on eating these tonight
    will use later

fighting all smoke and no fire currently :blush:
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    there was fire in the hole and a lot of smoke
    2 butts with S & P back on rack n pan
    very old meat thermometer in place
    thanks, gents
  • thirdeye
    Options
    "All smoke and no fire" could spell trouble. Why not stick the butts in a 250° oven until the smoke settles down.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    After smoke cleared and settled, put butts back on and DOME temp stays at 230 for 1.5h, then to 250--I tamped down Daisy (1/4) and Draft door (1/3), 30 min. later drifted to 260--dampened draft to 1/2 and kept Daisy unchanged. Very mild day but mile breeze (< 5mph) occasionally drifting through yard--face opposite wind direction. Is this normal?
    ;) Thanks, DOW
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Usually, I will have the bottom cracked about the thickness of a credit card and the daisy wheel petals just barely open to maintain 250 dome. Sometimes I have to open it up a little more than that, but not often.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    From your description I am not understanding your vent settings.

For 250° on my large the lower vent, screen closed, slider open 1/8" plus or minus a little. DFMT, top vent, slider closed petals open 1/3 to maybe 1/2.

To me the wind doesn't matter much unless it is really blowing hard.

I use the lower vent to control the course heat adjustment and the top vent to fine tune (control about 20° 1 way or the other).

Fiddling with vents is one of the biggest and most frustrating experiences an egger can do to themselves.

Let us know how your cook turns out.

Also, there is some good advice above. I too was wondering about not enough lump and no seasoning on the meat.

There are several types of smoke. When first starting or adding new lump there is the heavy white smoke that will clear to a light white or light clear-ish blue.

You will also have a white smoke from the flavor wood chunks. It is at times hared to tell if the starting white is gone as the flavor wood will also have a white smoke.

If you put your hand in the smoke and smell your hand you will have a bitter smell (starting smoke) or sort of a sweet smoke (wood smoke which is good).

GG
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    GG-thanks for your comments :)
    have tried to explain my rationale for each at the time I was experiencing each episode today.
    it would be really helpful if you could read and comment as to how to correct my newbie eggerhead :blush:

Grandpas Grub wrote:
    From your description I am not understanding your vent settings.

For 250° on my large the lower vent, screen closed, slider open 1/8" plus or minus a little.
    When I did this on first butt roast, fire went out totally...on turkey, kept fully open but cooking at 325ish...on this cook, was fully open first 1.5 hours, then temp up to 300, so with daisy more than 1/2 closed and fly wheel totally closed whole time, started dampening the lower vent just an inch or so at a time---first butt cook was extremely windy 45 w/65 gusts and face of egg facing 45 degrees from main direction; today, barely a breeze.

DFMT, top vent, slider closed petals open 1/3 to maybe 1/2.
    To me the wind doesn't matter much unless it is really blowing hard.
    see above

I use the lower vent to control the course heat adjustment and the top vent to fine tune (control about 20° 1 way or the other).
    That's what I thought I was doing--trying to do--and waiting 20-30 minutes inbetween adjustments

Fiddling with vents is one of the biggest and most frustrating experiences an egger can do to themselves. :S that's fer sur!

Let us know how your cook turns out.

Also, there is some good advice above. I too was wondering about not enough lump
    thought I had it up to top of fire box (was piled a little higher in center, then spread and placed wood chips on top
    that's where we had the first butt's lump at, although the fire got out of hand (350) and reloaded to top of fire box didn't want to change too many variables at once; but from the sounds o things, will fill up ring next time, too!

and no seasoning on the meat.
    gonna use meat for several varied purposes: posole, pulled, who know what else!plan on seasoning for purpose; used a lot of chunks of applewood--did submit :side: to third-eye and added S&P

There are several types of smoke. When first starting or adding new lump there is the heavy white smoke that will clear to a light white or light clear-ish blue. heavy white smoke is what was happening!! but took about 10 minutes to reach that--thought I had put the fire out when reloading--then the egg starter wouldn't lite--draft from bottom blowing it, so just left alone

You will also have a white smoke from the flavor wood chunks. It is at times hared to tell if the starting white is gone as the flavor wood will also have a white smoke. this WAS confusing me...

If you put your hand in the smoke and smell your hand you will have a bitter smell (starting smoke) or sort of a sweet smoke (wood smoke which is good). was smelling both--or my olfactory was overloaded
  • Hsbldr1
    Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    Options
    i bought some cowboy lump at trader joes cheaper than most but i agree it seemed like the lump was all small...not much dust and very consistant in size just small. seemed to burn just fine but i think i will stick with bge lump
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    B) yeah, I'm gonna look in Albuquerque later next week to see what they have and at what price...Great post on lump, on gloves, on all the things I'e been wonderin bout :laugh: You all (y'all!) are the greegest!
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :P been on for 'bout 11 hours, including off for adding MORE LUMP (THANKS, GUYS ;)
    Dome temp dropping to 200 from 212 just 15min B4
    opened lower vent from 50 - 100%; Daisy still about 1/2 open...

Internal Temp 190F :evil:

Think I'll let her ride, Sally, ride :whistle:
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Well, after we had you running back and forth for more lump, more seasoning, less smoke and more heat.....what's the story??

I figure 'round about midnight there should be some good samples going on.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :laugh: At 9pm, MST, the dome temp was 220 and the meat was pegged at 200 (in top of thermometer). I battened down the hatches, ate dinner and watch Batman, The Dark Knight.
    Now, at nearly 11pm MST, I brought in the butts...Dome temp at 200 and meat temp still pegged.
    15.5-1 for dinking around == 14.5
    Will post pics in a.m.! If hubby doesn't steal if for pot-luck at work tomorrow (which he threatened before dinner! :angry: )
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    With so many topics this might be hard to do in the forum, but here goes...

There are three things I think you may have had some problems with, two not to serious.

1. No seasoning, as thiredeye (a fantastic source and help here on the forum) said - at least S&P which you did do. Good.

2. Lump to the top of the fire box - not really enough in my opinion. Should have been up to the top of the fire ring or very close. I read where you went within 1.5 inches of the top of the fire ring. That too was good and should last you through the cook you were doing. I do about the same maybe a little higher but always wonder if I have put too much lump in the egg and still do wonder, but it all seems to work out OK.

You said you couldn't get the fire cube started. Some thoughts here. The starter cubes, compressed waxy wood/paper (?) stuff. IF I use them I usually press the sides to make them push apart somewhat. I hold them with some tongs and light and let them burn vertically then place them in the lump and try to prop some lump over the cube but leaving some air. I usually use paper tower (napkin) & oil or mapp or weed burner. Lately I have been playing with alcohol, not the drinking kind, to start the egg. If you are curious about any of those let me know and I will explain further.

One thing about starter cubes, when the lump is going I remove the remains of the cube, I don't like the aroma they produce. I also light my egg in 3 or 4 places depending on the cook. If using cubes, that is 3 or 4 cubes. Low & Slow, like your cook, I would have lit in 4 places.

I have never, ever, had too much air blowing in the lower vent, wish I did. I would have to guess the air was blowing over the open dome and putting the cube out for you.

I am cooking at about 5000 feet altitude so the characters of my large may be a little different than folks at lower altitudes.

You should plan on at minimum 15 minutes for your large to get to temp and possibly 30 minutes to be at a stable temp. Small adjustments are good.

If your bottom vent was open as far as you say, I am surprised the temp didn't skyrocket on you. However, the upper vent most likely kept the temp lower. The reason I use the lower vent for my main temp control is it is possible for the slider (disc) and petals to move when opening or closing the dome. I learned to always glance at the top vent settings before opening the egg and double check to make sure they haven't moved when I have closed the dome.

The lump has to get hot to draw the air into the bottom of the fire box and up through the dome - this is what makes the egg so good. If you get quick lights and high temps all is working well. If starts and slow warm ups, then the lump is usually packed too tight. Lump could be wet, but I am not addressing that here.

When air enters the lower vent it will travel the path of least resistance. Air in then into the fire box. AND around the outside of the fire box and up the outside of the firebox & fire ring. This second path does not help get the lump lit. If there are a lot of small pieces of lump in the fire box and that lump is compressed, so there is not much air space it will be harder to get the lump lit and a harder to get the egg stabilized as well as get to higher temps.

When I first light my egg. DFMT off of the dome. Bottom vent and screen wide open. I light in 3 or 4 spots (3, 6, 9 o'clock as well as sometimes center). With starter cubes, oil/napkin or alcohol I light and leave the dome open for about 5 to 10 minutes (not leaving the egg). I then close the dome and watch the dome thermometer. You will get a rise in temp, the color of smoke will depend on what you are using to light the lump. Watching the thermometer it will peak and you may see flame coming out of the top of the egg. When the material you used to start begins to go out you will see more white smoke and the thermometer will begin to drop somewhat quickly. Generally I see the temp go down to 200° or so.

If I am wanting a higher cooking temperature I leave the vents wide open and watch the dome temp. The temp will begin to climb slowly at first. I watch the thermometer pretty close now. When I am within 50° of my cook temp I begin to close down the bottom bent. Screen fully closed, that is about 50% - 60% air restriction. At the same time I close the slider to 1/4" to 3/8" open for 375° - 400°. I put on the DFMT slider about 1/8" open and petals usually 3/4 to full open. I watch the dome thermometer and close down the bottom vent a little more if it is getting too hot.

For low and slow's. When the temperature begins to lower from the initial starting material it will usually go down to 200° or so. I close the bottom screen and slider so 1/8" to 1/4" open. I watch the dome thermometer and it should settle in at 250°, without the DFMT. However, within a few minutes I do put the DFMT on slider closed petals open 1/3.

I usually wait until the smoke is clear and egg stable before I put my flavor wood in the egg. Be aware with as many chunks of wood you had you could see a small drop in temp, more smoke and flame when you open the dome. Don't change things just don't keep the dome open too long.

ONCE you egg is stable, if you put any furniture, plate setter, Dutch Oven and the like, your temp will drop - DON'T make any adjustments the egg will come back. Again, when you put food in the egg, the temp will drop, don't adjust, the egg will eventually come back to it's stable temp. I would expect a big drop in temp with as much food as you put in the egg - don't adjust. It could take an hour with that load of meat.
    For timing, if food touches, say 2 5# pieces, most of the time that should be considered as a 10# piece. If you have an inch or two then count as a 4#. Remember always cook to food temperature not time. Use time as a guide.

All-in-all, I wonder if you really had your egg temperature stable?

Sorry this is long, but I think I have covered everything. If you have questions, ask.

We all would like to know how your cook came out.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Hope you took a taste.

GG