Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A whole new world...

Options
Cory430
Cory430 Posts: 1,073
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never made Samosas before, but my eyes have been opened to a whole new food group :woohoo:

Pat out your dough into 3" rounds (very thin)
DSC00765.jpg
Add your filling; in this case - lean ground beef, tender taters, onion, jalepeno, garlic, ginger, and curry powder all sauteed till the meat was browned
DSC00767.jpg
seal
DSC00769.jpg
A plate load
DSC00770.jpg
Onto the egg - I used an Airbake pan on the Adj rig with a pizza stone for indirect
DSC00771.jpg
All done (about 25 minutes at 350°)
DSC00776.jpg

After finishing this, my brain is running 90 to nuthin with all the things that could be stuffed in here. Some of those ideas might show tomorrow :)

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Looks good Cory AND after all the fat and pork the during the Christmass season actually not to bad for you as done! Course my mind wants to make it unhealthy. Some sausage and cheese would go great with a little jelepeno pepper! :laugh:
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Much healthier than the deep fried versions my friend from Bangladish used to serve in Laramie, WY
  • Cory430
    Options
    JL,
    I hear ya! Just as quick as I finished these, I started thinking about pizza rolls and mini burritos :laugh:

There was some jalepeno in these, but only enough to give some flavor. My twin 6 years olds can't take too much of the heat...yet :evil:
  • Cory430
    Options
    DOW,
    My recipe called for either fried or baked so I figured that the egg would work out just about right...they were good.
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Egged raviolis or hot pockets or perogis or. whodathunkit?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Is there a difference between these and empanadas? I have made empanadas a few times and the process is very similar. Maybe they are the same thing with a different name from a different culture.

Very nice cook indeed.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Cory they look great, what kind of dough is it, it looks like pasta dough but browned like pastry dough, do tell?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • jetcruzr
    Options
    Cory,
    those look dreadfully delicious! Please post the dough recipe.
  • Cory430
    Options
    Zippy and Fidel,
    Very similar to empanadas, but without the oil or baking powder in the dough. I assume that this is the Indian version of stuffed dough along the same lines as empanadas and ravoli even though the dough is a bit different in both cases.

Now I am no dough expert but the major differences that I see between this dough and pasta dough is that pasta dough uses eggs and oil for its liqiud and this recipe called for yogurt, sour cream, or buttermilk and also about 4tble of butter. So Zippy that makes this a pastry dough I reckon.

Also, this was the first time that I ever made dough in the food processor, now that was a revelation! Wow it was fast and easy.
  • Cory430
    Options
    I'll get it up just a bit. I got to make breakfast for the family first though. Give me an hour or so.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    my friend's dough was similar to a flour tortilla dough: flour, salt, shortening (not very much)...
  • Cory430
    Options
    2 cups AP flour (about 9oz) plus more as needed
    1tsp coarse salt
    4 tble cold butter
    2 tble plain yogurt, sour cream, or buttermilk
    ice water (I used about 5 tble spoons)

-Add the flour and salt to your processor and pulse a couple times to blend
    -cut the butter into bits and add to flour, process until incorporated
    -add in the yogurt, SC, or buttermilk and pulse a couple of times
    - then with the machine running add the ice water through the feed tube 1 tble spoon at a time
    - stop adding water and processing the minute the dough forms a ball
    - knead the dough by hand for about 1 minute
    - break off a piece big enough to make a very thin 3" round
    - you should get 20-30 rounds/batch
    - fill with your choice of cooked and drained (if needed) fillings and seal using just a bit of water on the edges
    - cook indirect on a pan or stone in the egg at 350°
    until golden brown about (25-30 minutes)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    thanks looks like someyhing fun the whole family can get in on ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Wow - those really do look good! Great for a party! I'm looking forward to the filling recipes, too.

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • GREG
    GREG Posts: 22
    Options
    Looks similar to a favorite of mine-a pupusa. The national dish of El Salvador. A thick corn tortilla stuffed with any combination of cheese, beans, and meat (my fav-beans, cheese, shrimp). Cooked on a flat grill. Quick, easy, and cheap but great meal. Interesting to watch them being made and cooked. They can cook many at once and tell what's inside by the number of indentions they put on the edge of the tortilla before it hits the grill. Had them in the states, but nothing as good as in El Salvador.