Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEW TO THE EGG!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife just bot me the The Egg for my birthday. Is there anything I should know before I fire it up? Any helpful hints? Thx!

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    T-BONE,
    Have fun and watch out for flash backs![p]~nikki

[ul][li]Flashbacks[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    T-BONE,[p]Yes, don't do much of anything the manual says. You need WAY lots more lump in there than it says and using newspaper to lite it is messy and slow.[p]Ask questions here and you will get a LOAD of answers pretty fast. What are you going to cook 1st? You will have some trouble keeping the temps where you want them for the 1st 3-4 cooks but you will get it pretty quickly.[p]Enjoy[p]Tim
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    T-BONE,[p]Yes....[p]Give the wife a big hug and kiss before doing anything else!

• Tim M,[p]I have a large pork shoulder on ice but, I think I better start with something a little less tricky like a chicken.
  • Bob,[p]I will definetly follow your advice!
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    T-BONE,[p]After you finish that, I would suggest a really good steak. It was my first cook and is very easy as you do not have to worry about fire control beyond getting the egg as hot as possible for a few minutes to sear then closing it down and letting the steak bake for 10 or less depending on how you like it done.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    T-BONE,[p]I agree[p]Tim
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    T-BONE, Great wife. The first few times you cook ribs or anything low, I would stay around to monitor temp. It will take a few times but you will get used to it.
    I can put my ribs on, get the temp stabilized and leave for 2-3 hours without any worries. That is what really impressed to buy.
    Good luck and welcome.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike,[p]Thank You....The main reason I asked my wife to get me one was this forum. I read all of the previous messages and I couldn't help but get excited by everyone's exuberance!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    T-BONE,
    Ah, the memories. My wife wanted to get me an Egg. I wanted an Aussie grill. She talked me into an Egg. She then changed her mind and wanted an Aussie grill. I had to talk her into an Egg. Thankfully, we got the Egg. We are both very happy.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Sniff..I just love those romantic happy endings.[p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mollyshark,
    I forgot the part about the music and the sunset and fade to black![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    T-BONE,
    Remember...it's easier to raise the temp, rather than lower it. Once the temp goes over your set point, you must shut the vents down (perhaps all the way) to get the temp to drop. DO NOT USE WATER! When you open the dome, it will actually cause the temp to rise, because it allows more oxygen into the fire. It is slow to drop, and a good seal is important between the dome and the bottom of the egg. When you put the 2 halves together, make sure they are absolutely flat, even and mated.[p]As previously stated!!! WATCH THE FLASHBACKS!!!! It is quite a flash when Mr. Egg burps and belches flames. It is a learned thing (the hard way). You will singe hairs like the rest of us, just know that it happens, and use caution. Follow the Naked Whiz's link and view his video! Before you even light it the first time![p]I started with chicken wings. Get in there and let the grease help to season Mr. Egg. Threw em on, closed the cover, flipped about every 10 minutes till they were done. Turned out wonderful.[p]I also recommend keeping a log of whatever you are cooking. This sounds easy from the forum, but there is a learning curve involved with this. I keep a record of everything I cook. I can always go back to my notes and see what works and what doesn't.[p]Good Luck![p]Mike in MN

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    T-BONE,
    Welcome to the Green Roon! You'll find a lot of good eggheads here, and great help in cooking what you desire.
    There is never any shortage of eggspert advice, and generall all of it is good!
    Hammer[p][p][p][p][p][p]

• Mike in MN, Amen to starting with wings, Brother. It's an easy cook, and a confidence-builder while you learn to regulate the temperature. If you screw them up (which is hard to do), there's a minimal loss of invested time and money. DO NOT immediately jump on a low-n-slow cook, or anything involving a prime piece of meat. Wings, burgers and chicken are good starters, at least in my humble view.

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    T-BONE,
    IMO, an easy first cook is a tri tip. Just stabelize the dome temp to around 275 to 300 degrees. Throw that puppy on direct and cook until internal temp is between 135 to 150 depending on how rare you like your meat. I start with the fat side down for and Q for about 45 minutes then finish the cook with the fat side up. Depending on how big the cut of meat is, you should be able to cook it in a couple of hours.[p]The key is learning how to control your temp. Once you understand what to open and how much, you will then want to do some longer cooks. If I were you, I wouldn't try doing a shoulder until you get a few cooks under your belt.