Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cured, uncooked Christmas Ham

Options
Trailblazer1229
Trailblazer1229 Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok,
I have seen a lot of posts about this, but some of the vital information I am looking for is missing. Here is the situ.

A coworker and myslef each picked up a 25# uncooked, cured (or "corned" as the butcher called it) Ham. It is in a bag with a brine solution, with a lot of fat, and bone-in.

We are looking to cook these for Christmas.

We are looking for any prep(rub), temp., time, and finsihing glaze that would work. After reading around looks like we will go with a little Applewood at the beginning for smoke. Any help would be great as these might have to go on after work today for a Christmas Eve dinner.
thanks

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    They will be good if you cook them low and slow. They will be better if you can cold smoke them first.

If you have a Guru or a stoker get your egg stable at 180-200 dome. Make sure everything is calibrated because you are right close to the danger zone here. You can do this without a guru or stoker, but you really need to keep an eye on the temp. You need to start this today.

Apple is good, but I'd go with Hickory or Pecan for the initial smoke. You are making ham here. Save the apple for the second smoke.

For the first smoke you want the internal temp to get above 145. It's going to take a while for the first cook.

Second cook is when you will season and glaze it. Hopefully someone will post the recipe for the twice Baked Ham or Egrets Bourbon Ham.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I'm doing a double smoked ham for Christmas dinner. Celtic Wolf is right on here!The first "cold smoking" has to be real low.
    I would add that you want to cook to an enrenal temp. (the second go-round) to 160 F.

Here is the sauce recipe. It's very good :) !
    Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive never done a wet cured uncooked ham but i like the double smoked hams and would go celtic wolfs route. from reading about them, dont crisscross cut the fat on the first smoke to keep the juices in, and dont baste with the juices during the first smoke as it will be salty. i would go with dr chickens double smoked ham recipe if you can find the ingrediants for injections and glaze
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Trailblazer1229
    Options
    After the first smoke, when do you begin the second smoke? Do you let the meat temp. cool? Or can you pull, season, and start the second smoke? I am guessing the second smoke will not take as long.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I'd let it rest a day. This is why I said you need to start this now if you want it Christmas day.

Normally the cold smoke process is done over several says and even a week or more.

You don't need a country ham so you should be fine starting today and letting it rest,
  • smokeydrew
    Options
    Check out: http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesHam.html

They have a pictorial on curing and cooking a fresh ham.