Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Ham....how?

Options
SSDawg
SSDawg Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a Venison ham that needs to be cooked for the hunter this Tuesday. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or recipes that they might be able to offer me? I'm thinking low and slow, but would like times, temps, rubs, soaks, etc., as well as other general ideas from anyone who has done one before.[p]Thanks, in advance.[p]-SSDawg

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    SSDawg:[p]Leg of venison?
    [/b]
  • SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Yes, I think that's what he's bringing. The hind leg.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    SSDawg:[p]Venison is like lamb in that there is not much fat. I am not so certain low and slow is best for this cut. With leg of lamb I cook at 350º or so for an internal in the low 120's, sort covered rest, and serve.[p]Pictured is a venison rib roast on the grill and on the cutting board cooked as described above. The internal was 118º when the roast was pulled. Remember, with the leg you have to consider the bone when you monitor the internal.[p]venisonribroast2.jpg[p]venisonribroast3.jpg
    [/b]
  • SSDawg,[p]I would recommend that if you geta bone in venison leg you should debone it. Cut up the inside and work out the femur. when you have it all laid open you'll notice a network of veins on the inside. There is a pocket of fat with a gland in it connected to all that...carefully remove.[p]cut up half a stick of butter and lay it all over the spread out leg. Maybe some cloves of garlic. Kosher salt and pepper. Roll it up and tie. Coat outside with olive oil, salt and pepper and sprigs of rosemary. Cook mid 300's until 120 internal. Let stand 10 minutes and slice.[p]Gurgle....[p]