Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzones - leaked a bit

Options
DrEgg
DrEgg Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
100-0068_IMG.JPG?dc=4675409831507047096
<p />Made calzones tonight. Used Mrs. Puj's recipe for the dough, but added some sauteed garlic to the mix. Stuffed them with sauce, mushrooms, pepperoni, italian sausage, and LOTS of cheese.[p]Very yummy! Even better than egged pizza in our opinion. Only problem was sauce leaking out during the cook. Wasn't a lot, but enough to make a mess on the stone, and made it difficult to cook subsequent calzones. Anyone else have problems with this? Any crimping advise for the future? I'll post a pre-cook picture.[p]DrEgg

Comments

• DrEgg
    Options
    100-0065_IMG.JPG?dc=4675409833287142423
    <p />Here is a pre-cook picture. Haven't figured out how to do multiple pictures yet.[p]DrEgg
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    DrEgg,
    I'm certainly not from a calzone hotbed here in Canada, but it's my experience that with a calzone, the sauce is served on the side, not on the INside.
    As for creating a seal, the times I've done calzones, I've brushed some cold water on the bottom edge of dough, folded over the top piece of dough, then crimped the edge by pressing the tines of a fork along the edge like lllllllllllllllll Haven't have a 'leaker' yet...
    Qfan

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    DrEgg,[p]I've never made calzones before, but 2 local italian pizza
    places make them without the sauce. The sauce comes in a cup
    served on the side for dipping. They are great with or without the sauce.[p]RayS

• DrEgg
    Options
    Sauce on the side, huh. Well I'll be dipped in s#*%! I feel pretty silly. Or maybe I'm on to something....[p]DrEgg
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]... of course you've never had a leaker if you don't put sauce inside. Just kidding. :)[p]
    Puj

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    DrEgg,[p]Looks great. Sauce inside the calzone is standard for us. We'll have some dipping sauce available on the side too.[p]As BBQFan1 posted, brushing cold water or olive oil on the edge of the dough and crimping is the right technique for "no leakage".[p]Glad you had success,
    Puj

• Elder Ward
    Options
    DrEgg,[p]Looks great. Next time use a egg wash made of raw egg beaten like scrabbled eggs brush onto edges and crimp. [p]Elder Ward
  • daredevil
    Options
    DrEgg,[p]Good looking calzone's! From my days working in a pizza restaurant, we would pull the cal's out at about the halfway point, then brush them melted butter, and sprinkle them with garlic salt. Also, our sauce was on the side, and was served warm, which is much better than cold sauce straight from the fridge, IMO.
  • DrEgg
    Options
    100-0067_IMG.JPG?dc=4675409960851832460
    <p />Thanks to everyone for all the advice/input. Somehow, I need to write all this info down... somewhere where I can find it for the next time![p]DrEgg