Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O/T Single malt

2»

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    bill.....you keep posting like that and you will have my whole family...including my inlaws.. :woohoo: ...visiting you soon... :laugh: :whistle:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Do you know under what brand Costco sells it ??
  • Inksmyth,

No, in Canada.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Jura. From the Isle thereof. Picked some up at Heathrow and fell in love. Peaty enough to plant a petunia in it. Man, been a while. Maybe too long.

mShark
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    mine was a gift!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Count me among the devotees of Balvenie, though I prefer the 12 year to the 15...go figger. On cold winter nights, I do like my Lagavulin, too.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Their own label. Unfortunately its probably very difficult to find - once the word got out, it was grabbed pretty quickly and, like so many Costco items, will probably not be restocked.
  • My most prize bottle of Scotch is my 30 year Glenfiddich. It was a wedding gift from my Father, who I went to Scotland with in February of this year... and we visited the Glenfiddich distillery together. So this bottle has a lot of meaning! I probably won't open it for a very long time.

My favorite bottle for "enjoying" is my 18 year Macallan. (It's saved for special occasions though...)

Most of the time I go for a 15 year Glenfiddich or Glenlivet, both of which Scotches I find to be a great compromise between taste and price. :)

Scotch_0001.JPG
  • stike
    a friend of my wife had her dad pass away a few years ago. she said he had a bottle of 'whiskey' that was 50 years old and never opened. he was saving it for what he called a 'special occasion'. she'd gotten married and had two grandchildren for him, and apparently those weren't special enough occasions (sad). she gave the bottle to my wife because she knew i enjoyed scotch.

i was looking forward to it greatly, shall we say. my wife handed me the bottle and grimaced. it was a 1957 bottle of CANADIAN CLUB BLENDED WHISKEY. yeesh

not only were those occasions not special enough to crack a fifty year old bottle, apparently they weren't even good enough for canadian club. :ermm:
  • Wow... that's nuts! I bought the bottle of 18 year Macallan to celebrate my 25th Birthday, and have enjoyed it a few times since then. On my wedding day, I filled a traditional Scottish Quaich with the Macallan, and shared it between all of my groomsmen, my father, and myself.

I don't know if I'll be able to wait this long, but I thought it'd be nice to open the 30 year old Glenfiddich on mine and my wife's 30 year wedding anniversary. :lol:
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    I like to keep a bottle of at least two of these around, so I can enjoy their different tastes:

Macallan 18 yr
    Macallan Cask Strength
    Oban
    Balvenie Double Wood
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    This brings up an interesting question that I think I know the answer to, but will phrase it in the form of a question for open responses.

Once the whisky is removed from the aging cask(s) and bottled - does it change/develop any more, or is it done at that point and it will taste the same today as it would if opened 20 years from now? Properly stored, oxidation inhibited, yada yada yada.

ANyone know for sure?
  • Nils
    All aging is done in the cask/barrel.

Aging in the bottle is risking something bad happening to it, besides getting consumed!

Do not expect any miracles to come from letting a bottle sit around, other than the miracle of "enlightenment"! ;)
  • stike
    unopened, there's virtually no change (from what i am told, not through experience).
  • Nope, it won't "age" any more... so if I open this bottle in 30 years, I won't have a bottle of 60 year old Glenfiddich, I'll have a 30 year old bottle of 30 year old Glenfiddich. :laugh:
  • Fidel
    That's kind of my understanding too - but I've not yet been able to keep a bottle unopened for any appreciable amount of time.
  • Fidel
    That's what I thought - i just have trouble wrapping my brain around that concept. It's a lot easier to just wrap my lips around the opening in the bottle!
  • stike
    nope. nor have i been able to open it, try some, and put it away "for later".

a month, tops, is how long it might last here.
  • Haha, when we took the tour of the Glenfiddich distillery tour, they told us that was a common misconception about Scotch... that it continues to age in the bottle. Not true though!

Another memorable story... at the end of the tour, they gave us a sample of the 12 year Glenfiddich... they instructed us to stick our nose in the glass and smell the aromas of the plain scotch... then they told us to add a small amount of room-temperature water and smell it again. To our surprise (we were all Scotch newbs) the water really opened it up (instead of "watering it down" like you'd think...), and it was much more fragrant. They said "cold" water has the opposite effect, and "closes" up the scotch, so they don't recommend serving it with cold water, or with ice... but they said some people prefer it that way. So they said we could have our sample plain, or with water, or even with ice if we liked, but they told us if we ask for "coke", they'll ask us to get the *%&# out of their distillery. :laugh: :laugh:
  • stike
    keep in mind that it goes into the cask virtually tasteless and colorless. grain alcohol. could be made into vodka or gin at that point if you wanted. what you are enjoying in a glass of scotch is the caramels and phenols and smoke and hoo-hah that leached out of the barrel itself.

in truth, the water it was made from, the peat, etc. play a tiny role (if, um, any) in the flavor. you start distilling that stuff over and over before putting it in a cask, and it won't matter one bit whether or not if the peat which the malt was dried over was harvested while fragrant wildflowers were blooming. hahaha

the longer it's in the barrel, the deeper the wood is leached. then it's diluted with water and bottled. after that, not much going on in the bottle as far as flavor development goes.
  • Fidel
    SO what you're saying is I could toss back a shot of Everclear and lick a hickory stump and put $75 bucks in my pocket?
  • stike
    first glass of a new bottle is taken neat for me. then a cube or two. i don't drink it before the cubes melt (i.e., it's not that i want it cold). rather, the scotch opens up as the ice melts, as you say, and the amount of water in the mix changes.

usually the glass is warm again by the time i finish it (ice cube is melted).

man. dying for a glass right now.
    :whistle:
  • HA, good plan! Except I think you'd have to old the everclear and a chunk of the stump in your mouth for at least 12 years though. :silly:
  • I know, I'm jonesin' for a dram right now too. :laugh: I'll have to try starting with ice, and letting it melt. I bet it you sip it slow enough, you can really smell/taste the change as the ice melts.
  • stike
    um. in theory.

seriously.

high end vodkas are distilled and filtered numerous times. that's only one of the things that delivers a high end vodka, but it is the CHIEF thing that does it.

pour top-end vodka into a sherry barrel.... wait 30 years
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    should also list the ones ill NEVER buy again. speyburn, glen ord, and though not a single malt and my grandfathers favorite, cuttysark. i would rather sip on overholt rye which i got into when my dad and brother cleaned me out of jameson, an overholt rye bottle is a conveinient place to hide your jameson in. B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nils
    For something different, if you can find it (or order it online) try the Macallan Cask Strength. Its a bit harsh for some people's taste - but its what cometh straight from the cask prior to the water being added.

I can hold a snifter of that and get loaded just sniffing it for an hour!

Not something I have every day, but it does fit my mood from time-to-time.

What it is:
    http://www.themacallan.com/macallanPortfolio/sherryOak/cs10/

Online source:
    http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=14698