Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggin Down Da Bayou

Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a blast Eggin down Bayou Dularge yesterday. Loaded my small and mini in the Geaux Tiger boat and motored to a friends fishing camp. About 40 guys and one gal showed up for the Fall Scotch Classic and Gathering of Rough Riders. The Fall Scotch Classic is a redfish rodeo - each person can weigh one redfish under 27" for bragging rights. The Rough Riders are just a whole bunch of guys and gals who have a common interest in fishing. This year a gumbo cookoff was added for kicks.

I made a chicken, oyster and andoille gumbo that took first place. Actually there were only two gumbos entered and the other one was mightyfine. Here is the first place trophy in the gumbo cookoff.

IMG_2861800x600.jpg

Although some may have thought the other gumbo was better (maybe it was), the judges were swayed through my lobbying, bribing, and voted buying with Egged appetizers. :evil:

Here is the setup - a small and a mini. Yes, that is the Geaux Tiger boat in the background, the Geaux Tiger ice chest, and the Geaux Tiger small transporter in the foreground. The two guys over my left shoulder are doing their best seagull imitations.
IMG_2836800x600.jpg

Appetizers were:
Moink Balls
IMG_2829800x600.jpg

ABTs
IMG_2843800x600.jpg

Stuffed Fritos - ran out of guacamole on my last batch
IMG_2847800x600.jpg

The winning refish was 7-13
IMG_2852800x600.jpg

There was entertainment throughout the day and surely went on the wee hours of the morning. Our coordinator and Chief Rough Rider with his homemade guitar (you would think an attorney could afford to buy a guitar)
IMG_2830800x600.jpg

Might as well blacken some redfish. Fileted four fish for the "after party". For the fish to be fresher, you would have to cook them in the water.
IMG_2857800x600.jpg

Topped the day off with a Dularge sunset
IMG_2870800x600.jpg

Had to wait for the small the cool down after blackening the redfish and then had to wait for the moon to get higher in the sky to light up the Bayou for the ride back to the landing. Great day.

Comments

• You Lucky Dog, I'm assuming Houma, La. ??? Best Jet fuel prices in the country! Ben there once, ready to come back! The recipe's look great! Jeff
  • Looks like a FUN time. You did good! ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    "WOW FRANK" Sounds like a dream day.
    Thanks for the pics
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Great report Frank. Almost feel like I was there! Terrific photos (and what a great prize - two great bottles of hooch and the perfect scotch glasses).

Enjoy.

P.S. I'll be pulling for your tigers New Year's Eve. I'm supposed to goto the game with my neighbor who is a GaTech alum.
  • Ahhh... the truth comes out. I thought that gumbo winning story sounded a bit 'fishy.' It was the trophy you were after all along and you employed Louisiana Political tactics to get the win. But in Louisiana, that counts as a 'good' win. Congratulations.

I guess the Governer's Mansion is next. Good place to hold a Louisiana Eggfest.

Spring "Came In Second In A One Legged Race With Myself" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Hey, congrats on the grand prize! And excellent pics! I really enjoy the colors and composition of the sunset pic.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    No doubt you know how to spend a day! What a great time yall must'ave had. I miss days like that from when I lived in Fla. Congrats on the gumbo victory too!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Frank I doubt there is anyone on this forum who has it as nice as you do.....well we are your friends after all aren't we??? :woohoo: ....no.....seriously ... those photos speak a thousand words about good friendship, excellent cooking (The blackened looks great..Used Chef Prudhomme's??) and an incredible place...when there are not hurricanes.. :whistle: Congratulations to you...mi amigo ...you are the true "Bon Vivant" ;)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Beautiful Frank, just beautiful! -RP
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    wow frank that looks like a fun time!!! wish i was there

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Frank,

Lemme see here, egging, fishing, drinking, good friends, beutiful scenery, mild weather, fresh fish and music. Adopt me.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Hey Todd,,, In talking with Steve we might be planning a day like that around the Ocala fest. :woohoo:
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Thanks for sharing that!! I am more relaxed just from viewing your post (but also more hungry). Sounds like an awesome time.
  • Thanks eggers - It was a great time.

Turned out two of the fisherman who showed up are pretty smart lads as they also have eggs; one has a medium and one has a large. I got at least one convert and have one who is trying to figure out how to run over his weber to justify to his bride that he needs an Egg. Eggnation, Eggdominating the world one Egg at a time.
  • You most likely tanked up at Hammond's flying service. He is my neighbor two doors down and real a nice guy. Sold his hanger and offices to BP after Katrina. BP moved their offshore support base from Venice (way down the MS. river - end of road) to Houma and all their offshore crew changes go through Houma by helicopter. Charlie built a new hanger after selling to BP and it was flattened by Gustav - back up and running now.
  • Awesome pictures and way to go with the cooking! That sunset is gorgeous.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Fantastic event! Congrat's on the gumbo win.
    Glad you could share the fun and pictures with us. :cheer:
  • MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    That sure is a nice setting. Would like to hear more about your gumbo and see some pictures of the finished product.
  • Now that's a party. There is something to be said about eatin at a camp. Food seems to taste better, not sure why, but it does. Maybe it's because it's shared with friends and family.

Thanks
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Thats awesome Frank!!! :woohoo: I would have gave anything to be there for the gumbo and the fish. It looks like it was a great day. I love the pics.
  • I didn't take photos of the gumbo yesterday. I cooked the gumbo in my seafood boiling rig. Got a little crazy yesterday including a two hour trip to go pull some fellow Dulargers who had gotten stuck on a flat at low tide.

Here is one I did on my XL about a month ago - same thing as I cooked yesterday but on the Egg. Made the roux on my small then transferred to my XL. Browned the chicken in the XL after transferring the roux, then added the andoille and stock. Let that simmer a while and add the oysters along with the oyster liqour about 30 minutes before serving.

Chicken, oyster and andoille gumbo

IMG_2283800x600.jpg

IMG_2285800x600.jpg

IMG_2289800x600.jpg

IMG_2292800x600.jpg

IMG_2303800x600.jpg

IMG_2307800x600.jpg
    Chicken, andoille, and oyster gumbo
    The measurements for the oil, flour and chicken stock are approximate – the rest are good. I normally make this gumbo with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. but have cooked a turkey just to make gumbo or used chicken thighs. I used chiken thighs yesterday.
    Ingredients
    1 cup of vegetable oil
    1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
    Two onions – chopped
    Two bunches of green onions – chopped
    Four stalks celery – chopped
    ¼ cup chopped garlic
    4 - 6 cups of shredded turkey (or chicken thighs)
    1 lb. andoille sausage
    1 gallon of turkey stock (made from the turkey carcass the day before)
    1 pint shucked oysters
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Filé
    Start by browning the flour in the oil. Get the oil pretty hot, add the flour and keep stirring until it is as dark as you can get it without burning (the darker the roux, the nuttier the flavor of the gumbo). Add the chopped seasoning and continue stirring. When the onions start to get clear, add the turkey and andoille and continue Stirring for a few minutes. Begin adding the turkey stock a little at a time until the correct consistency is attained. The oysters are added 20-30 minutes before serving – they are cooked when the edges curl. Some people add filé – we serve filé on the side. Filé can make the gumbo bitter if it is cooked in but it’s nice sprinkled on top of the gumbo.
  • MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    That looks great thanks for sharing. When I make my roux I can stir it for 20 minutes and not get it to get dark enough. I use 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup flour. Maby I dont have it hot enough.

What about okra?

Thanks again.
  • I don't put any okra in this one. I do two gumbos with okra - chicken okra and shrimp okra. Get the pan real hot and don't stop stirring until its the color you want it. I haven't read it, but this link may have a good discussion on making a roux http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Cooking/Making-a-Roux.htm
  • Anyone down there need a corporate pilot? :)