Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let\'s do the Deep Dish Disco

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So Mike in Abita posts this link earlier today for a completely different deep dish crust. I abruptly change plans to do this pie and run to the store to procure the various sundries needed.

It turned out very good. I did not pre-bake the crust and wish I had. I did not use as much oil or butter in the pan as I should have. The crust was very crisp and light, but was not exactly what I'm looking for, but this is getting close. I changed this recipe by adding 1/2 c of corn meal and 1/4 cup of water and 2 Tbsp olive oil to the dough. I also used bread flour instead of AP.

I topped it with olive oil, sliced fresh mozzarella, diced tomatoes, fresh basil, oregano, pepperoni, onion, shredded provolone, pizza sauce, and finally a little shredded Parmesan.

Baked it at 425 with the following setup - platesetter legs down, little green feet, pizza stone, mini grid, and the deep dish on top. Went for about 55 minutes. It was raining pretty good so I couldn't get any photos of the setup. Had I pre-baked the crust for 5 minutes I probably would have avoided the moderately soft internal crust. Otherwise very tasty.

Cooling1.jpg

Cooling2.jpg

Sliced1.jpg

Comments