Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs...311 or No

Options
CanuckEgg
CanuckEgg Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please chime in on rib cooks......

I have never done the 311 method on ribs, always a dry rib, 200 indirect 3 hours minimum, a bit of smoke, and baste at the end for 30 minutes. We always use baby back cut ribs.

They always come out great, juicy, and very tasteful. Everyone loves them!

In the opinion of all the eggers who have mastered the craft of cooking ribs, does the 311 method really make a difference in taste and texture of the ribs? Should it only be used on certain cuts of ribs?

As always, thanks in advance....Now, please excuse me while I fire up for some swordfish steaks.

Al

Comments

• BostonEggSox
    Options
    I love the 3-1-1 method. Here's my post from earlier today using a great recipe from Dr BBQs NFL Gameday Cookbook.

The Peach Baby Back's in Dr. BBQs NFL Gameday Cookbook are great. My family and friends devoured them. Even my autistic son, who is very fussy with his food choices, enjoyed them!

Here's my adaptation sorta using the 3-1-1 method. The last -1 was cut way short

3- Rub Worcestershire all over so the John Henry Pecan Rub would stick well. 3 hours in the Large at 250 Indirect using a rib rack.

1- Peach Preserves apllied heavily to the meaty side and Turbinado sprinkled on top of that. Double foiled, tented with a 1/4 cup of OJ under the rack of ribs for moisture. Back on for an hour at 250.

1- Baste with Maker's Mark BBQ sauce and back on at 250 as long as you can stand it. We all lasted about 30 minutes. :woohoo:
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    I'm not sure you can mess up ribs. I have no set rule, and it seems like everyone does them different.

300-350

2-3hours foil 2-3 hours sauce and brown.
  • Bama Chad
    Options
    I prefer not to foil...however...it can depend on cook time, trying new recipes, etc. One thing I love about ribs is there are so many different ways to cook them, and the fact you can cook them the same way twice and they can turn out completely different. At least that's what I have found...

I do notice a big difference in texture, color, taste, etc...but depending on what you put in & how you foil, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

My advice is try it (both ways) and find what you like best.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I never foil ribs. Usually goes about 5-6 hours.
    Nothing wrong with foiling, just a lot of ways to cook them.
    ribs2.jpg

Mike
  • CanuckEgg
    Options
    Mike,

Awesome looking ribs....I assume 200 -250 indirect for the long?

Al
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I'm a fan of foiling, that said..I don't foil every time..you can see my method in the cooks section of my website, linked below...also..I don't do an hour in the foli, it makes the ribs to sloppy, 45 minutes works better...ribs are one of the many things that there is no right or wrong way to cook them...It's more of a personal preference...no matter which way I don't feel you have been getting your ribs completely cooked at 200 degrees for 3 hours, I have done babybacks that have taken more than 6 hours to be done with or without foil, in the 235 to 250 degree range..be open minded and try the many different techniques posted here on the forum..then decide for yourself which YOU like best..that's really all that matters..
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    sure you can. cook em on a gasser, that'll ruin just about anything. :laugh:
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    well said Mr. B
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Have cooked them both ways, with and without foil, but I much prefer them without foiling. Maybe it's just me, but I think the meat gets mushy when it's been foiled. But, I have tasted others' foiled ribs that have been wonderful....it's only usually an extra hour to go without foiling, so I let em' ride.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I just want to publicly say..it was an absolute honor to meet you.... and from what we experienced at Tikifest... and furthermore from reading your many posts here on the forum...you will absolutely be an asset to the egg community..it was our pleasure to have you here, and we both look forward to seeing you and yours at future fests...and consider this a standing invitation..you are welcome in our home...any time..my new friend..
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Thank you my man. That means a lot coming from you Wess, I will see you soon, Marc
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    true true true.

funny thing is the 3-1-1 method was designed to HURRY things up, and at 250. the hour in foil, braising, speeds things along. i just don't know how you could back temps down to 200 (!), and be done in an hour... like you, i've had b-backs at 250 that took 6 hours or so.

'cooked' is possible in three hours, but 'done' is more like 6 or 7. 3-1-1 saves you and hour, maybe.

that said, if a guy likes them for 3 hours at 200, what the heck do i know, right?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Options
    Nice looking cook; what sauce did you use.
    Chris
  • CanuckEgg
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone, I am going to try my first foil next weekend and see how they turn out,

Al
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    Going into the foil

Dsc01156ribs-vi.jpg

Final browning

Dsc01158ribs2-vi.jpg