Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help. Losing my love for the Egg

Options
2»

Comments

• TulsaMurph
    Options
    I can't say I relate, I still love to cook on mine when I have the chance. If the lump is nice sized chunks and the air flow is good, you should be able to hit 650 before you have finished prepping the meat if you start the fire first (I use a propane torch, works great!). I think I can hit about 650 in about 15 minutes, or close to it. An eggcelerator fan would speed up the process, too. I use Royal Oak or BGE charcoal, and again, the key is airflow. Flame-ups are caused by grease on the lump in my experience, but they are not a problem for me until the brats start to ooze, and at that point, I keep the vents mostly closed so that it is not a problem. How much charcoal are you using? Too much might put the fire a little close to the grid for steaks and the like.

I don't know what you cook, but burgers (ground chuck), hot dogs, pork tenderloin, brats and the like are my most common cooks, along with a brisket or a butt now and then on the weekend.

First, fix the airflow and flame-up issues, then see if it is more fun.

In the end, egging is most fun when you share some recipes, stories and especially food with others. Find an eggfest and mingle. If necessary, just let it go for a little while, this egg keeps well in any weather, and one day, you will think of something you haven't had in a while, and before you know it, you will be back.

Happy Egging!
    John
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    I'm so impressed with the help/ideas that have been offered. I don't want to seem harsh, but, if the fact that so many have responded, or the ideas they have offered don't get you back to that luv'in-feeling, then sell your Egg.
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    To the OP, do you have a gasser? I got my large in April. I have a JennAir NG beside it, and a portable sear grill stored in the JennAir. I also built a Wood Fired Oven this summer. If someone were to tell me that I had to give up one, I would have a problem. I use and enjoy them equally. (Although, since the sear grill was only $75, it would go first!) My point? Keep the egg and use it when you want to. If you want the ease of pressing a button to light a gas grill & sear steaks, do it, but don't give up the efficiency and ease of low & slow cooking because of it. Knowing that you can put a boston butt on the egg and 10-18 hours later the egg is still chuggin along at 230* without having to tend it, is well worth having. Knowing that you can't achieve the same moistness from chicken, hot dogs, brats & sausages on other grills is well worth having. Also, when you want to step outside the box and sear steaks over hardwood lump, you have that option. I use my grills in combination with each other a lot. If I don't want to wait for the egg to cool when I T-rex some steaks, I'll light the egg and let it get to searing temps, sear, and then put them on the pre-heated (400*) JennAir to finish. Sometimes I go backwards and will sear a roast on the Ultra Sear, and then finish it on the egg @ 400*. If you need a break, take a break from the egg. It may be lonely, but it will still cook for you when called upon.
  • Voltage
    Options
    Again, thanks to everybody who responded. I'm totally blown away by your great ideas.

I'm cleaning my egg from head to toe this weekend, putting in new lump, and trying a new lighting technique.

Just so I don't sound like a total whiner, I have had some very nice successes with the egg. My chicken breasts have been extremely juicy, I have made some killer steaks, and ribs are magnifique (well, my first attempt, not so much.)

I also feel as if I've found a great new community of friends and will visit this site often now that I know what a great bunch of people y'all are.

Voltage