Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Question

Options
2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Spaceman Spiff,

Cool idea! Don't keep the Cheerios under there though ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• If you're looking for good knives most of the previously mentioned knives will probably suit 99.9% of the population. If you want the best knives check out Randall Made Knives. When I was in the military I got all of my combat knives from them but they also make a great line of carving and steak knives. All of these knives are handmade - not this mass manufactured crap that most places try to pawn off on people who have no real knowledge of knives. Most of Randall's knives will set you back several hundred dollars (each) and be prepared to stand in a long line - they are currently taking orders for 2013. I’ve been using their products for almost 25 years, you will not be disappointed. Take a peek: https://www.randallknives.com/order/index.php
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i collect books. there are what we call "reading copies" and then there are the copies you collect and don't even dare to open.

i don't imagine most folks would buy a first edition when they go out to buy a copy of Huck Finn. they get a reading copy.

those knives are beautiful, and having some dude forge you a knife from the very bowels of the earth, borne of satans's hellfire, is a privilege and almost certainly worth the wait, but i have a feeling the dude would really just like a decent knife to "chop his carrot", ifya knowutta mean.

as i mentioned, i collect books (or, rather, try to). next time you want a book, don't ask me if i have a lead on a good one unless you are ready to crack your checkbook. because, well, "only the best", right? nah.
    test the waters, and if you are inclined to become the aficionado, then you can splurge. i'd submit, too, that you are among the .01% that appreciate that knife. no sense trying to get the other 99.99 percent to join in, or your wait will become even longer, and the price will go even higher.

to that end, i'm betting he'll be better serviced by buying three knives at a hundred bucks each, then later going all in on a takeshi saji eviscerator3000 :)

rather than drop 3k and wait two years, only to put it in the dishwasher at thanksgiving.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    I scanned over this post briefly, and there are a few bits of misinformation as well as correct. I'm sort of a knife nut, and will add a few thoughts of my own.

The main difference between German (European) and Japanese knifes is.........technique! Not how they are made, how they are intended to be used. German(European) knives use a rocking technique, that someone mentioned above. This rocking technique has continuous contact between the knifes edge and the board. Due to this 'technique' German knives are heat treated to a softer, easier to sharpen rocwell hardness. (56-59) The edge may roll and/or dull, but it will be less likely to chip. German knives also take a more obtues angle for the edge, around 20*/side. The Japanese knives are heat treated to 60-6x rockwell. They are very hard and can take an extremely sharp edge with very acute bevels, around 10*-15*. The technique used with Japanese knives is a 'push-cut' technique where the entire blade is above the board and you are pushing the knife forward and down until the blade meets the board. It seems that this may be harder on the blade, but with proper technique, the blade is 90* to the board, and is only in contact for a split second.

All Japanese knives are not carbon (non-stainless) steel. Their are many high end steels that are wrapped in a softer stainless exterior to ensure an extremely sharp & hard edge with an easily maintained exterior. OTOH, some find that sharpening carbon steel is much easier and can take and hold a fine edge. The trade-off is the extra care necessary and some are turned off by the patina the blade gets.

The Japanese manufacturers have accommodated we westerners by making their blades with 'western' handles, instead of the traditional handles, Wa, I beleive. The Gyoto is the equivialent of a German chef's knife, only the gyoto is thinner and lighter. The Petty is similar to a paring knife. They have a boning knife, but it is very different than what we call a boning knife. When you get into the sushi knives and deba's, you are now getting into single beveled edges. (Think chisel) They are made this way to help break down fish, slice sushi revealing a very smooth edge and take a lot of practice to get used to. The Usaba and Nikiri look like cleavers but are thinner and have a single bevel. They are used for chopping vegetables and are capable of paper thin slices.

That's all I have time for right now. I have a Henkels 4 star set, which is pretty good. I also have a Wustoff 230mm slicer, which again is nice. I ordered an antique Queen Cutlery, slicer & carver with stag handles that are very thin and take and hold an excellent edge. I have a Kanetsugu Pro-M 240mm Gyoto from japanchefsknife.com. Reasonably priced and incredibly sharp. I like it so much, I ordered a Hattori 135mm Petty from the same place. I can't wait for the holidays, to have all the decisions as to what knife to use to carve & slice.

One more thing. The magnetic knife racks. Excellent way to store your knives. If you are at all handy, you can order rare earth magnets from Lee Valley Tools for a few dollars and put one together pretty inexpensively, and exactly the way you want it. Hope this helps!

Oh, and.....DON'T PUT YOUR KNIVES IN THE DISHWASHER!!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    great post....

you know, every year at thankgsgiving or easter or whatever we end up hosting, my mom helps out in the kitchen (cleaning up). i invariably find my knives point down in the dishwasher. i mentioned it casually once. and once again. and now i simply wince, say nothing, thank her for helping, and then thank god i still have my parents around, because some folks don't and would love to have mom jam their chef's knife in the utensil basket....

...my wife, too, is a little casual with the knives. what can I do. if i ever pony up for a real knife, i will forbid anyone from touching it. but i already have a reputation for being particular about my stuff "jeff and that grill of his..." etc.
    hahaha

again. great post. thank you for clearing some stuff up.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Another thought.

If you have never handled really sharp knives before, you WILL cut yourself. The mind may know it's sharp but the body takes awhile to learn.

Spaceman Spiff
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    I hope this link doesn't die. I am getting a taste of the knife thing and it is serveing as a great primer. Could work out to be a good chrismas gift that I want to put on my list.

My question is sharpening..... Do the home sharpeners work or should it be left to a pro? How often should they be sharpened under normal family use? (Family of 5, used everyday.

Thanks-
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    most of the japanese knives stay sharp for along time, much longer than the european knives. they are also much harder to sharpen and most home sharpeners dont have the capability of sharpening single beveled knives. with the european models you can touch things up with a steel were the japanese a steel would ruin the knife. if you dont want to be using a wet stone maybe once every 6 months then stay away from the japanese single bevel knives, but if you do like wet stones for sharpening, one or two of those knives are great in the lineup. so its not just a question on what knife you want, its also a question on how your going to maintain it, ive got one knife in particular, a bunmei oroshi, its the hardest knife to sharpen in my lineup and i wouldnt recommend anyone getting one unless they are finatical about spending hours sharpening a knife from sharp to razor sharp on a stone. the global deba is still my favorite for everyday, not quite a true deba, its a very thin light weight blade, slices thin with the light gliding motion mentioned but can also rock like a chefs knife, and its also the knife i would grab for filleting even over my fillet knife
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bodine
    Bodine Posts: 15
    Options
    Visit knifeforums and absorb the knowledge found there.
    I love my Nenox chefs knifes. Just dont cut bone with them.
    As far as racks or blocks go, I find the magnetic racks best for my situation.
    Wood instead of exposed metal wont scratch your knives.
    CynthiaL.jpg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I want a knife to use.A really good quality knife.I don't need a showpiece,I already have a BGE! ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Thanks to all.I believe I now have enough info to at least make an informed decision instead of just asking the guy at the knife store and being at his mercy. :blink: :S :huh:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i can get by with these, from the can cutting knife to the 60 year old ones on the right. a great uncle in the family was a butcher and those were his at one time. the chef knife second from the right is from the 50's, made by lamson, those are good blades and the new ones with rosewood handles are really nice, you should look at those i believe the new ones are guaranteed for life, and the company will also sharpen them for a slight fee
    3d5229c2.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I have not seen a home sharpener that I would trust with a good quality knife.

There is no one sharpening system or method.
    Many trails are traveled by those who sharpen.

I use an EdgePro - even with single bevel Japanese knives. It is not cheap.

Any system will require a learning curve, some more than others.

Spaceman Spiff
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Try http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/

Great prices direct from Japan, Check it out.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP