Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rotisserie chicken

Options
johnvb
johnvb Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, so I know I can't do rotisserie chicken in my large egg (or can I? :blush: )

Do I need to get a gasser for this, or is there a lump burning alternative out there? Once rigged my old Weber kettle with an aftermarket setup, wasn't too successful.

Used to own a Ducan gas grille, worked great for this. But the dealer who sold them (my BGE dealer) said something about the plant being moved...quality went down so they dropped the line.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Egg And I
    Options
    It's not a rotisserie, but the results are just as good or better: Spatchcocked Chicken. Here's one way: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • johnvb
    Options
    I haven't tried that recipe yet; no doubt it is delicious.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    rigextenderrotisserie.jpg

I've tingered with rotisserie style cooks on the egg and have done my fair number of spactchock birds too. Both methods have certain advantages. For the average cook, rotisserie birds are not possible on the egg. No way to power the motor effectively given standard equipment.

Ironically did the cook in the picture over the weekend......just playing with some set-ups. Need to work on balance a bit.

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • You can put together a rotisserie setup for a large Egg as I do have one but it would be much better to do it with your Weber kettle as there are several methods with this lump burning grill. Both Weber and E-Z Que do have a rotisserie setup for that grill.

52MVC-019E.jpg

This is the E-Z Que setup turning a couple of chickens.

59MVC-005E.jpg

This is the Weber setup with an after market basket turning some chicken wings.

71MVC-001E.jpg

This is the Weber setup with another after market setup doing shish kabobs.

75MVC-002E.jpg

Setting up a boneless ham in the E-Z Que.

75MVC-006E.jpg

Dipstick
  • swamprb
    Options
    I have a Weber cradle rotisserie for my Genesis gasser, but I've never even used it. But I will vouch for the EZ-Que Rotisserie, it is a fantastic tool. I have the 8" cradle and have done 15lb turkeys, leg of Lamb, pork loins, 4 game hens or 2 whole chicken at a time, with excellent results!

100_1907.jpg

100_2103.jpg

100_2957.jpg

When I really get rollin', I'll fire up a Drum Smoker and use a Weber rotisserie. The fats drip on the coals and bastes the birds with a convection effect.

100_2205.jpg

100_2207.jpg

100_2210.jpg
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    But the dealer who sold them (my BGE dealer) said something about the plant being moved...quality went down so they dropped the line.

With all due respect, your dealer is blowing smoke up someones nose. He probably dropped the line because he didn't know how to sell the Egg. Many dealers take on the product and don't take the time to learn how to cook on the Egg.

I still travel around New England a lot and I've taken to stopping in the odd dealer if he's not too far off the beaten path. Sadly, darned few of them cook on an Egg. Even fewer of their employees cook either.

As for the quality dropping? Haven't heard or seen any huge issues over the last few years. There is the usual fire box stuff and the gasket issue. Neither of which seems to be a deal breaker anywhere along the line.

As for your rotisserie chicken, you won't need to think about that on the Egg. Beer can or roasting rack will give you the same thing only more moist than most rotisserie chicken you'll ever have.

The posts above show we have a diverse group here who love to tinker with "stuff". They do a great job and add depth and color to the Cult of the Big Green Egg! ;)
  • johnvb
    Options
    Sorry if I wasn't clear...he dropped the Ducan gas grille line, not BGE.

His showroom is full of other high-end gasser, but he is most enthused about his Eggs! Matter of fact, one of his showroom eggs is well "broken in" if you know what I mean.
  • johnvb
    Options
    I'll have to check out that EZ-Que Rotisserie

One thing that the Ducan had (included in some other high-end gassers) was a vertical side burner. That way the juices of the chicken fall into a drip pan, while the heat comes from the side.

This prevents any flare-ups, and allows cooking without constant attention...kinda like an egg :)
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    that's good to hear.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Seems like someone is always figuring out a way to cook anything on the Egg. Are you looking to do rotisserie chicken on the Egg as a way to get crispy skin?

I've experimented around a bit and other than doing spatchcock chicken, I think you can get the same results going indirect and then cranking the heat at the end.

We have Ron Popeil's "set-it-and-forget-it" rotisserie. That produces some crispy skin and although I haven't been able to duplicate that skin on the Egg yet, I'm getting close and I think the above method is the way to go.
  • Egg And I
    Options
    I've had good results with crisp skin by drying the bird well...if you're spatchcocking it, go ahead and flatten the bird first, but don't season...dry well with paper towels and put it on a rack on a sheet pan and refrigerate, uncovered, for 8 hours or so; this will dry the skin. Then oil and add rub, just don't use a water based mop. The drier the skin is the more it will crisp. Your tip of raising the temps at the end helps a good bit, too.
  • swamprb
    Options
    At one time the EZ_Que site had the BGE in its links of supported accessories. I couldn't believe it and inquired here and a couple forums about a rotis on the Egg and only Toms setup was featured. I brought a couple of my Japanese Kamados to the PNW Eggfest and had 2 different people tell their dads had rigged up a spit and motor to the old claypots.