Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer accuracy

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a BGE newbie and have a 7 lb. Boston Butt on right now. I have the digital BGE thermometer which has a meat probe and a smoker thermometer. The digital thermometer is reading almost 20 degrees lower than the dial on the green egg. Which should I go by? The dial is showing around 250 and the digital is just over 230. I'm shooting for 235 based on the Dr. BBQ Big time cookbook.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Both if the dome is calibrated.

There is a 20-30 difference between the dome and grate.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    go by dome temp. there's always a difference between dome and grid temps. when we say "250 dome", it's easier than saying "250 dome or 225 at the grid"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The grate should be higher, right? But the digital downm near the grate is reading lower so I'm confused. But I never calibrated the dome.
  • So the dome temp is higher than the grid? I would have thought the opposite since the grid is closer to the heat.
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Heat rises..... :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    No the dome is higher
  • Good thing I wasn't a physics major. ;)
  • stike
    Options
    tjhose types of thermometers measure air temp (or temp of liquid, meat, etc.). they don't measure the radiant heat of the lump. like when the sun can bake your fac at a football game in the stands, but the thermometer says it's only 65 degrees out

air rises, and the ceramic dome heats up from the layer of hot gasses flowing along it out the vent. the meat (when cold) also drags the temp down (the meat is a heat sink). the temps will even out toward the end of the cook.
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    A man with two watches never really knows what time it is. Thermometers are a pain!
  • stike
    Options
    a broken watch is the only watch that is correct twice a day.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    cozy,

With your egg you should have also received a piece of paper on how to calibrate the dome thermometer.

It is a good idea to check the accurecy every once in a while.

While you are checking also check your BGE ditigal. Don't let steam get inside the head of the digital. Use a plastic bag around the digital head if you need to.

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    If thermometers are a pain you are definitely sticking them in the wrong place.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I'd be much more inclined to trust the digital than the BGE for a number of reasons. I've been slapped around for saying this here, but the BGE thermometers are, IMO, of poor quality.

Second, digital thermometers typically work off of thermocouple sensors which either work or don't work, with failed sensors being obvious by opening and registering a "HI" temperature on your readout or by shorting somewhere outside the high temperature zone and reading an obviously low temperature.

Lastly, the "calibration" of the BGE isn't really a calibration but a zeroing...the only temperature you're really confident of it reading is 212*F, well out of range of a lot of cooks. The digital can be checked in ice water and boiling water, so you can verify the linearity of the instrument across a wide range and thus have some confidence that it's reading somewhat correctly at temperatures other than 212*.