Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VOCs and a closed lid

Options
Marauder777
Marauder777 Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a while now, and I finally have a question I can't find an answer to!

I got a DigiQ II today, and immediately ran out and bought a pork butt to try it out. I was so focused on getting everything ready to use the DQ, I didn't even give a second thought as I was putting fresh lump in the Egg.

I started my burn, got the Egg up to about 150, couldn't wait any longer and hooked up the DQ. I set the temp on the DQ, closed the lid, and stood there like a fool with a grin on my face.

After watching the smoke being pumped through the daisy wheel as the temperature climbed, I set the temp to 195 (I'll increase it before I put the butt in) just to familiarize myself with it.

As it got close to 195, the fan would shut down, then kick in again. Every time the fan kicked back on, the lid on the Egg would lift off the base, and a massive cloud of smoke would escape. It took a few of these "burps" for me to realize it was the VOC's exploding whenever the fan kicked in.

For future use, I'll certainly not be doing that again! However, I'm wondering if there is any potential for harm to my Egg when it's doing this?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Probably not the egg, but those high flashes of heat might hurt the temp probes.

If you do that again, I would leave the DFMT off of the dome.

GG
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    DFMT? Where was it I saw the official glossery of terms link?
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Dual Function Metal Top or something of that nature. The cap that most everyone has on their egg when cooking instead of the ceramic one.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Sam,

Firestarter21 is correct. Dual Function Metal Top

Here is the link to diagram http://www.biggreenegg.com/components.html

Kent
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Welcome to the neighborhood!!! And to the wide wide world of ceramic cooking.

Although any brand of forced draft equipment, can be used when starting your fire, it is much better to let your fire stabilize, let your cooker store some heat in the ceramic material, and let it overcome the initial temp drop you will get after loading cold meat.... then use your Guru or Stoker to maintain your fire. I generally hook mine up during hour 2 or 3. I even clip the pit probe where I want it (without connecting it to the brain)for about 10 minutes to let it heat up. When I finally clip on the fan and plug in the connections, I get no surges at all. The equipment takes about 2 minutes and it is working in steady pulses.

Think of these tools like the cruise control on your car.

By hooking up your Guru or Stoker too early, the equipment naturally tries to get the cooker up to the pit temp you select, but it does not know that the fire is still young, and the ceramic is still cold. In doing it's job this early in the life of the fire, one of the downsides is that the small spot fire you lit can grow in size.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    that certainly explains the surge I typically experience past 225 followed by a long period of inactivity while the egg drops back down from 250 :huh:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    This is very interesting stuff for someone considering a Stoker.

One thing I have been concerned about is the fan blowing ash around. Since all you serious veterans use these systems, I assume that doesn't happen, but I have yet to figure out how it is avoided. Comments?
  • Marauder777
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!

My intent wasn't to use the DQ to get the fire going, but in my eagerness to see it in action it was hooked up too early. I had the Egg burning for about 20 minutes before my stomach told me to hurry the process along. Oops.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Next time tell your stomach to be patient.. It has to wait 12-16 hours anyway, so what is a few more minutes.

Listen to thirdeye he knows what he's talking about
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You have to have ash to blow around.. Remember how clean lump burns.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, ash will blow around to some degree, but there is a damper on the fan, and you only have the top vent cracked. These adjustments control the bottom-to-top airflow and turbulence of ash.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Salty Dog
    Options
    Wow... I've had the forced draft on before I was up to temp and never saw that problem....lot's of smoke out of the daisy wheel vents when the fan pulses, and some smoke sneaking under the gasket, but no jumping lids... I think I'll wait until the temperature is up and stable in the future before turning it on though. That sounds like one eggsperience I'd rather avoid... can't imagine its good for the gasket. thanks for the post.