Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Conundrum??

Options
KingSmono
KingSmono Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've started my fire in preparation for a long, Boston Butt cook tonight... I'm aiming for 250 dome temp... so I clipped my DigiQ II Pit Probe TO the BGE thermometer, and set it for 250. Well, the DigiQ II Pit Probe is reading 250, and the BGE thermometer is reading 200... which one do I trust?? :blink:

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Have you calibrated your dome thermometer lately? If no do so. You could also check the q2 probes at the same time.

Don't get the q2 cables wet.

GG
  • KingSmono
    Options
    Haha, my newbie-ness must be shining through, but I didn't know you had to calibrate them. Do you happen to have a link on calibration instructions?? And is this something I can do fairly quickly?? THANKS!! :woohoo:
  • KingSmono
    Options
    Aha, I just found Fidel's instruction on thermometer calibration...
    Insert tip into boiling water. If it does not read 212 then turn the nut on the back of the dial until it does.

If you are at high altitude water may boil at less than 212, but 212 will be close enough for calibration.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    that simple. I would hope the Guru would be the more accurate of the 2. let us know what you find out
  • KingSmono
    Options
    The BGE thermometer was WAAAY off... (it was reading about 40 degrees too low) Luckily, for all of my recent cooks, I've been using the DigiQ II temp... but usually I have it clipped to the grate. I thought the discrepancy between the two was grate vs dome temp... but when I put them BOTH in the dome, and the readings were way off, flags went up!

Thanks for the help guys! :silly:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Glad you found Fidel's instructions. There should have been some instructions with the packaging of your egg also.

You will need to calibrate every so often, for some reason they drift. I twist the thermometer so my target temp is at the 12 o'clock position. When I look out the window it is easy to see if things are going off kilter.

Probably my twisting is causing the 'nut' to move a little. I think I am going to pick some cork or nylon washers to put under the thermometer. Several folks have taken the spring hold down off their eggs.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I put the spring clip outside the dome which effectively shortens the stem inside the dome and allows the thermo to spin freely.