Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I or Shouldn't I & somthin to smile about

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it's windy, cold and a titch of snow and promises of more to come this weekend.

I am looking at the forum, at the eggs, and thinking/procrastinating of going out and lighting the egg.

Reading some old emails and happened to come across a little something (below) I thought I would share.

Now this is sent, I think I will go pick up some hocks, take some of thirdeye's advice and smoke those hocks and make some nice navy bean soup.

Hope you are eggin...

GG

An old hillbilly and his wife had never been more than 7 miles from their home in the East Tennesse Smokies.

One day the man said to his wife, "Honey, you know we're not getting any younger and I sure would
like to take a vacation and stay in one of those fancy hotels in the city before I die." That sounded good to her so they started scrimping and saving.

Four years later they had enough for them and their never-married adult son to go and spend 5 nights in a very posh hotel in the big city. They all piled into the man's old pickup and headed out.

When they got to the hotel the man said to his wife, "Mama, you just wait in the truck. Junior and I will go in and be sure this is the right place."

When they stepped into the lobby they both thought they had died and gone to heaven. There were indoor streams and water fountains, polished marble and gleaming brass everywhere. But the most amazing thing of all was the elevators. They stood there and watched the lights flash, the doors open and close and people getting on and off.

A stooped over little lady who was 90 if she was a day approached the elevators and pushed the "Up" arrow. The door opened and she got on. The door closed. The lights above the door flashed.

Those lights flashed some more and the door opened.

The most stunning 24-year-old, green-eyed blonde you've ever seen stepped off and went into the lounge.

The son looked at his dad.

The dad looked at his son for just a second and then said

"Go get Mama".

Comments

• Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    Go for it!!! Life is too short. I now live in Florida (used to live in Michigan) and never Egged in snow or cold weather. Wish I could. So, please Egg for me, too

Okeejohn
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05966.jpg

Beans are always a good idea, they are good for you, and they go well with old cowboy movies. :laugh:

Check your e for a pdf.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Good idea, the hocks are smoking right now. Think I will get out some Duke movies for this evening.

GG
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    Pretty funny, although my wife didnt think so. No sense of humor!
    I actually have a pot of beans on now- first cool day (50s- why I moved to California!) I cook them in the DO with rib ends, ham bone, whatever is around. We usually save the chicken necks and backs to make stock- you ever smoke them up to put in the beans or soup?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Never put in chicken parts. But always anything ham.

The best I have ever tasted is the leftovers from smoking some ham. That is just a huge WOW!!!

Last Christmas we cooked several spiral hams. I took the bone which of course has some of the meat where the spiral cutting didn't completely cut.

I was lazy and just tossed the bone and some left over ham slices into the ceramic dutch oven. 2 or 3 cups of water and 2lb's of split pea's & some s&p.

Normally I am not a huge fan of split pea soup but this was really fantastic. I made it a thick so there was some substance when eating. Something well worth trying.

GG
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    don't even think it Kent! :evil: :evil:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Tim,

:laugh: :laugh: So you don't like the idea of chicken!

=======

You still have any hair left after the last few weeks? What a mess!!!

Kent
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hey Grandpas grub. next time you make split pea soup toss in the bones, ham scraps, a couple chopped onions, a bag of frozen hash browns and a bag of shredded carrots. oh and the dried peas :) that is what is cooking on "Pimp Daddy" at the studio tomorrow :)Julie
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Julie,

I have been making the soup real thick almost chewable.

When I made the first batch I really didn't expect much so it was a really a bare bones cook.

I will try the onions, hash browns (good idea) and some shredded carrots.

Thanks, Kent
  • Mainegg
    Options
    We like ours thick too. you can almost eat it with a fork! LOL and hot buttered corn bread. I am cheating and just doing corn muffins, the package mix :S but i need to do small batches and be able to toss a few at a time in the egg to bake so it is just easier with all that is going on. I will take pics today of it all and post them tonight.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Oh and the hash browns are a staple in the freezer at the studio. If we do any soups we use those. they are cheep and fast and cook up fine and nobody knows :) corn chowda, corn beef stew all get the hash browns. I have a nice list of breakfast things we do with them to for feeding groups of people. my favorite is to brown them the night before with onions, peppers and bacon chopped and mixed in. then in the morning when I get there I just dump the whole thing on a big cookie sheet and toss in the oven as it heats to bake stuff. I scoop out about 1/2 cup of it into small individual dishes and use the back of a scoop to make a well. crack and drop an egg into it and sprinkle with shredded cheese. bake at 350 till egg is almost firm. about 10-12 minutes. it sets up quick when you take it out. if we are camping i will make and keep in a zip bag then dump into a cast iron skillet make the wells and put in the eggs and bake on the egg. nice and hearty and fast :)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Ya gotta luv it!! 8 - )