Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT trip to Key West

Options
LittleEgger
LittleEgger Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are taking a road trip to Key West next week. Anyone have suggestions for great restaurants not in the travel brochures. Has anyone ever been to Dry Tortugas State Park? Is it worth the all day trip.

Thanks
Carol

Comments

• TampaQ
    TampaQ Posts: 40
    Options
    Lunch at The Half Shell - They have Lobster PoBoy sandwiches (in season). My personal favorite.

http://www.halfshellrawbar.com/contact.html

Give them a call and see if they have them when you are there. You will not be disappointed. Off season I get shrimp poboys there.

Have fun!
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    greetings,
    i used to travel the keys highway twice monthly for several years on business and my all time favorite places were in Islamorada.
    The two best seafood restaurants are the Whale Harbor that has a great seafood buffet and also the Islamorada Fish Co.
    good luck and travel safe.

PS: once you get to key west make sure you go to Duval street and get your 4 t-shirts for $10.
    the dry tortuga run is interesting if you have time to kill but nothing spectacular unless you are planning to dive.
    just my opinion
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You can do the Dry Totugas two ways. By boat or by float plane. We did it by plane and basically had the place to ourselves and one other couple. If you like snorkling, its a good trip. A boat (or boats) arrived about two hours after we got there and dropped off a bunch of people. I think the boat trip is about 2 to 2-1/2 hours but not really sure. If you go by boat your pretty much committing 3/4 of a day to the excursion. The plane ride was probably 20 minutes but the pilot extended it a bit by pointing out sharks and rays in shallow water and flying around just checking out stuff like wrecks. We enjoyed the plane ride and the snorkling. Lots of fish - a 3-4 fout barracuda swam right in front of my bride. First time I ever heard anyone swear under water. :lol: The fort is pretty neat too.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    We work and live in Miami and the Keys are our back yard. As far a places to eat in Key West goes, depends on your budget. We have eaten all over and the Number one place that we always eat is A & B Lobster House.
    http://www.aandblobsterhouse.com/ They ARE pricey but worth it. Little Chef says try the lobster stew.
    Also you may like the Blue Heaven Restaurant. Very elcletic place rosters and cats all over the place.
    You should bypass the Tortugas unless you are on a boat and plan to fish as in a charter. Islamarada is a great place for food, there is a Brazilian steak house place called Brazalina (sp) that justs rocks! Bring you appetite, it is an all you dare to eat kind of place.
    The best place we have found and they will cook your catch is Lazy Days. If you are in too fishing check out Delph fishing Charters. They are not cheap but worth it.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Any trip to Key West has to include a stop at Blue Heaven. Its a couple blocks off Duvall St. Lobster and eggs for breakfast and the best bloody mary on the island. One of my personal favorite places on earth....watch out for the chickens! :woohoo:

www.blueheavenkw.homestead.com/Blue_Heaven_Restaurant_Key_West.html
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Ding ding ding! The Boatman is correct. THE BEST DAMN BLOODY MARYS ON THE PLANET!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Love 'em!

If you go to the half shell, you will see my license plate LINDANN from NY hanging on the wall. The name of my wife, and the name of my boat B)
  • dixie_flyer
    Options
    One of my favorite Key West restaurants is Louie's Backyard -- it's in the south part of the island, not far from Duval Street...their yellow tail snapper is super...ditto for the mojitos!