Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Dickey's Barbecue

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I drove by a new barbecue place, in Beltsville, MD (I live in College Park, just a few miles south). It's called Dickey's and it's a national chain (probably not a good sign). Has anyone ever eaten there? Is it worth checking out?

Comments

• If its a franchise of the Dickeys based out of Dallas.....
    NO in my opinion.

allen
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    We have Dickey's in Dallas, been here for decades. Heck maybe started here, don't know. There are two restaurant types that when I visit, I hope there is a line to get in: barbeque and cafeteria joints. Best way I now to get fresh food. It may not be great food when compared to other alternatives (cooking at home) but chances are, it's the best the joints can offer. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I've eaten at 2 different Dickey's in Dallas. They had pretty good brisket and sausage (not competition grade, but good).
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    In the early 90s, I use to eat at the store in north dallas, forest lane/central near medical city. We've moved offices, but believe that store is still there. Use to see Ross Perot every so often.

Now I have a new store one mile from the house. Ate there twice. Second time had the sliced brisket. It would have been better chopped, if you know what I mean! I like their potato salad....
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    I live in Dallas and there are Dickey's all around town and I have eaten there plenty of times. They are not the best I have had...too "mainstream" I suppose. That said, I do like their sausage...just wish they would thicken and spice up their sauce a bit more.

My experience is that peoples tastes differ on where they live and what BBQ is/has been available, Give them a try and find out.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    I'm in that area fairly often - where's it located? Route 1, maybe north of Ikea?
  • I guess I'll try them one of these days. Not tonight though. It's starting to get cold here, and if I'm in Beltsville, I'm going to have a bowl of pho for dinner!
  • Yeah, Rt. 1, I think right before Powder Mill Road (on the right side if you're heading north).
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    They are also in the terminal at DFW. -RP
  • Look and see if they have a smokestack. We've got one of these up here in Boise; the sides are good, the brisket is about the dryest I've ever have. They bbq someplace else and truck it in for serving.Use plenty of sauce....

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Gate C6 and A18. There's one in terminal D too, I think, but I forgot the gate. Tee hee! I fly through Dallas specifically to visit Dickey's, but now we have one here.
    The Naked Whiz
  • If you were in Texas, you could do a lot better than Dickey's. But when you are in North Carolina, for example, you can't do much better if you want Texas BBQ. I love them and probably get there once a month. To each his own, I reckon.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I've eaten at Dickey's in Dallas and NC (four locations in all) about 40 times and never had dry brisket. Maybe you have a bad franchise in Boise.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hey Steve - I was wondering about that place too. We usually go North to Shane's in Laurel, or KBQ in Bowie (pretty good IMO).
    That pho place across from Costco is good - is that the one you go to?
    Maybe I'll see you there sometime as it's on the lunch rotation here at work.
  • Whiz,

I worked in the Research Triangle Park area for a short time back in the late 80's. On my relocation trip in, I stopped at a roadside BBQ stand and ordered a BBQ sandwich. The attendant brought me a slice of white bread with a pile of shredded pork. Topping that was some cole slaw and a vinegar based sauce. I responded "This is not what I ordered." She asked where I was from. "Texas" I said.

She said "You're in North Carolina now, Boy!"

Good eggin -

-Paul
  • Hey Jason. There's two pho places in Beltsville, less than a mile apart. I usually go to the one in the shopping center that has a Quiznos and a pet store (I think PetCo).

I very rarely have lunch in Beltsville since I work in DC.
  • LOL, yep, that's about the size of it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • How funny I ate at a Dickey's in Addison Tx yesterday while I am on the road. The chicken had an awesome flavor. On a weekday diet till I get home.