Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs & Vino

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Capped of a great weekend of Friends, Family, Football, & fun by Egging up some Baby Backs today.

Picture456789018-3.jpg

What to pair up with Barbecue Ribs? How about a 2004 Rockpile Road Zinfandel. One of Dry Creek Valley's best.
Picture456789004-1.jpg

Just the bare necessities.
Picture456789007-2.jpg

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    looks great! i really like red zin.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    How about a bud light? :lol: Looks good my friend ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Your Falcons got the best of that high school team from Missouri with a worthless head coach, president, offensive coordinator, and quarterback. Congrats.

So what sauce did you put on the ribs?
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Basted with Kraft original, then served a side of SBR's mixed with a tad of vinegar.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I can't believe that you didn't try Todd's sauce.I was gonna do ribs today,but not enough time :whistle: Oh well,I have something to look forward to :lol:;)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Amen to that! Great day of family, football, and barbecue on the eggs :)
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Red Zin: Anything else constitutes abuse of a fine grape.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Mighty fine ribs there but whats the deal with the wine? :blink: Must be REAL EXPENSIVE cause there's not enough in that glass to swallow a dry cracker with!! :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Stanley, I agree.

Doug, I am saving Todd's sauce for a special occassion.

JD, yeah I drank about a dozen of those 1/4 glasses of wine, until the bottle was empty. My girlfriend was on her usual Mich Ultra.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Wine Note:

I'm sure there are members here with more wine knowledge than I, but I thought I would share some information regarding quality wines.
    First, you need not spend a fortune to get a really good bottle of wine. They can be had for as little as $10-$12. I typically spend $16-$25 for "drinkers" and $25-$45 for "collectibles". That doesnt mean all $16 bottles of wine are good, many are crap. A little research goes a long way.
    Secondly, a wine doesnt have to be of great expense to be age worthy. This is what got me hooked.
    Regarding the Zinfandel shown above, I paid $19 for this bottle 2 years ago. This particular wine carried a 92 point "Wine Spectator" score when released in 2006, and was one of the Top 100 wines of the year, a phoneomenal feat for a sub $20 bottle. I aged it at 55deg in the bottle for two years before uncorking it last night. It was very good in 2006, but last night, it drank like a $100 bottle. WOW!! This exact bottle is available now on www.wine-searcher.com for approx $30. What else is yielding a 40% increase in value in two years these days?
    Yesterday evening was a VERY enjoyable wine experience for me. I have 2 of the Rockpile Zin's left in my humble collection. I hope to have the will power to resist opening another one anytime soon.
    But when I do, I know the BGE's will be up to task.

Ron
  • EgginDawg
    Options
    Great pairing of foods. I would suggest that you use Todd's sauce on something along with that fantastic wine you wrote about. It's that damn good, IMVHO! B)
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I may store the jar of sauce Todd game me in the Wine Cellar, alongside my best bottles of Bordeaux, awaiting the precise day to enjoy all it has to offer.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks great ron ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Carnivor T
    Options
    Good wine pick for sauce type !!!

You can always go with Primitivo(Italian for Zin), Shiraz;would go for an australian with ribs not a french northern Rhone-Croze Hermitage too $$$.

In French, Clos de la Coutale, Cahors

Italian; campofiorin Masi or... ok might as well go for it " Amarone-Masi"

Rockin native italian grapes "Salice salentino" appellation Taurino

MamreBrook Australia or Clancy's Australia(Peter Leehman)

California; Cardinal Zin or Delicato shiraz(---$)
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I have never had Amarone, but I have two bottles in waiting. Any other suggestions on a food to pair it with?
  • Carnivor T
    Options
    Dionysus(nickname Bacchus)roman god of wines

I would suggest very structured food with strong, spicy sauces, or complex powerful tastes.anchovies, blue cheese etc,at the end of meal.

For example you can't blast the palate with spicy chilies and hope to taste the subbtle differences of delicate fish taste after your mouth is burned.

The alcool power in an amarone but also the wine structured taste (being a ripasso), make this as a last of meal,if you have to drink other more subbtle or less powerful wines. Take your softer wine type first; beaujolais, chianti, pinot noir, gamay, and build up in strenght and structure as you move up in your service. The same with your food.

The only wine I would put after is either a supertoscan IGT or a port served with dattes stuffed with blue cheese. :P

enjoy!

JF