Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have a table? Need gloves?

Options
WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When building my egg table I looked high and low for good quality stainless-steel grab bars at a reasonable price. I couldn't find any cheap enough so I settled for some stainless towel bars from a local flea market. Well of course Murphy's law kicked in and now I stumble across some good stainless-steel grab bars when I no longer need them. These are 48" long so perfect for the front or back panels of most egg tables. On sale cheap too at only $20. Wish I had found them months ago...

115824_ts.JPG?cell=320,320&cvt=jpeg

And Murphy wasn't done with me yet. I did a ton of research on fireproof gloves and oven mitts a while back. I decided to get a pair of leather welders gloves for handling moderately hot items and an Orka oven mitt for handling super hot items. But both of these were too bulky to wear while performing cooking tasks like flipping, basting, stirring, and moving dishes on/off the egg. So I decided on a pair of nomex military flight goves but they weren't cheap and I paid about $30 for the pair. They work great and offer ideal protection against flashbacks and flame/heat while also allowing you to perform fine motor skills with all fingers. And of course I now stumble across a pair of nomex flight gloves on sale for $15, just half of what I paid.

115841_ts.JPG?cell=320,320&cvt=jpeg

Well you win some and you lose some. But I thought I would share to prevent Mr. Murphy from scoring the same victory against a few others that might be looking for similar swag...

Comments

• DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    think I'm ording some of those gloves. Thanks for the link.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Try an Ovglove. They are good for super hoy and a re far less bulky than Orca. They do have to be washed occasionally though.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I did try the OvGlove and it works fine. It provided about the same level of protection as my leather welding gloves, and I prefer the welding gloves since they also protect the forearm. If you need to handle slippery items then the OvGlove has an edge with the silicone gripping dots on the surface.
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    So can the Nomex Air Force gloves handle the heat? Anyone test them yet? I want to pick up a hot grate at 500 and not have a problem!
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Yes, I have the nomex gloves as stated above but I paid $30 for my pair... :(

The nomex gloves work very well to protect against flashback when cooking at high temps, when working over the food on a hot grill, when rearranging pans and food on the grate, adding or removing corn on the cob / hot potatoes, turning food over, basting, inserting/removing probes, etc. They reflect heat away and protect your forearms, and are virtually fireproof so they won't char or burn.

They are also pretty thin which is great for performing detail work which you can't normally do very well with thick bulky gloves, however the thinness also means that they won't perform very well when picking up very heavy hot items like a plate setter or steel grate.

So if you desire very comfortable gloves which allow you to detail work as noted above while still having a high degree of flame protection then nomex gloves are just the ticket. If you want protection from the plate setter then welders gloves, Orka mitt, or OvGlove are a better choice. For the sale price of $15 a pair I would not hesitate to add the nomex to my collection.