Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time for a basic pizza on egg

Options
jlspitler
jlspitler Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
5 min in
cookout021.jpg
and after 12min its done and ready to eat
cookout026.jpg
me and my egg
cookout018.jpg

i have to say this is my first pizza on the egg and the family was totally impressed. my wife said when we cook pizza from know on it goes on the egg.

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Another pizza sucess story. We said the same thing after our first pie on the BGE.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Lookin' good. Awesome for your first pie.

Just wait...you'll end up cooking frozen pies on there and will be amazed what comes out.
  • porchegg
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Just wait...you'll end up cooking frozen pies on there and will be amazed what comes out.

I agree with Fidel. Last week, I didn't have time to make up a pie but had one in the freezer. It was incredible.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Tell me it isn't so...I resist buying a frozen pie everytime I pass one. But if a frozen pizza is good, which brand do you like?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    Good job
    Its fun to see the good food photos

Dave
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Hey, next time you make a pie, invite the guy across the street sport'n the Webber Kettle over for dinner, he'll convert :lol:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Pizza(& baking in general) is the best, unexpected benefit of owning an egg, to me.
    Maybe try a calzone next time, they are awesome too.
  • Fidel
    Options
    DiGiorno is pretty good.
  • jlspitler
    Options
    thanks for all the great comments. now for my next question. now that i have gotten my first pie out of the way and the family liked it so much i want to step up to a chicago style deep dish pizza. any suggestions on doing this on an egg. thanks again. jason
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    hey did you see the little grill across the street from you? thats funny....
  • jlspitler
    Options
    yeah i seen that weber. they don't know how to use it. most of the time i am lighting my BGE and finished cooking my food and there still trying to light theres. my other neighbors hate it when i start a long night smoke. most say they are tempted to come over at night and take a peake just to see whaqt i am cooking.
  • porchegg
    Options
    I like Red Baron pizza too. Trust me the one I cooked on the Egg last week was great.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Bacchus, would you happen to have a calzone making method to share?
    happy in the hut
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Zippy, I am no eggspert at Calzones but they come out good.
    I get pizza dough from a local pizzareia, but have done it with Pillsbury. I lay it out flat, cover about 1/3 of it with ingredients, then roll it like a cigar. Use whatever ingredients you would use on Pizza, which it limitless.

Picture456789009.jpg

Picture456789016-1.jpg

Picture456789018-2.jpg
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I see you have the sauce on the side, do you do that to prevent blowouts? Everytime I have tried to make a calzone or stromboli in the past w/the sauce inside, I have an explosion & the ingredients leak out. Your finished product looks great, I do a similar thing with just pepperoni & cheese, roll out the dough like I am making a pizza, top it the same way, then roll the thing up in a tube & cut some slits in it to let out the steam. I have never done this on the egg however, only in the oven. One last question, what temp do you do these at, I imagine it would have to be a lower than pizza temp, thanks
    happy in the hut
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I do put some sauce inside, but just a little. I do them at 400deg.
    I am going to try a breakfast version this weekend I think.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Oh yea. Deep dish is good. Dough, crushed tomatoes, toppings, and cheese. Very simple and very good.

Raw800.jpg

Done800.jpg
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    that"s a weber, that looks like a little wal-mart grill or something.So that"s what they call a weber? Better watch it,they might get jealous and come still your egg.it"s been done before(just a word of advice to a newbie). I hope you keeping that thing locked up when you not cooking right? or at least in the back yard...good luck and much success..PEACE...
  • jlspitler
    Options
    sirlancealot wrote:
    that"s a weber, that looks like a little wal-mart grill or something.So that"s what they call a weber? Better watch it,they might get jealous and come still your egg.it"s been done before(just a word of advice to a newbie). I hope you keeping that thing locked up when you not cooking right? or at least in the back yard...good luck and much success..PEACE...

yeah when my egg is not in use i keep it locked up in my garage. and they do have a weber. its funny watching them starting it
  • Jeffro
    Options
    Looks delicious!