Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE resale value?

jld
jld Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been thinking about getting an egg and am a little intimidated by the cost and weight of the thing. So, a question...

First, what's the resale value of a BGE? I ask because I'm thinking about getting a demo egg from PNW Eggfest (if they're available) and $715 is a pretty reasonable amount of money to me. (About a month's rent). I'm not much of a cooker currently and even as excited as I am about BGE, I'm a little worried it'll be a fad in my life. So I'm willing to jump in if I can be somewhat sure that if the BGE and I don't work out, that I can recoup most of my investment. Possible? Is $500 or $600 for a Large egg with nest and mates reasonable to expect?

Thanks, I want to get in!

John

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    the BGE will make you a cooker.
  • You should be able to get that, or close to it. I've never met anyone who is willing to part with an egg. I'll bet that after you get started cooking on it you will decide your biggest problem is "drop-ins" when the wind is blowing.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    worth twice the price :) But really you will love it and it is worth every penny. we cook on our about 8 times a week and have 5 now :( I stressed over the cost of the large when I got it 2 years ago and I was worried Hubby would not be thrilled. but here we are! don't waste time stressing when you could be cooking :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL RHV, my dads dog sits on the front step and cries with his nose in the air when he smells the eggs going. If dad has his lit to then it is doubly hard. he runs back and forth sniffing like he is trying to figure out who is cooking his favorite thing, or who will be done first, then "sneaks" across the yard to our house. we have a big gazebo out back with three of the eggs in it and he runs from apple tree to apple tree like some ninja dog (all 18 pounds of him). It is a great (and cheap, if you have spent all your money on eggs!) source of entertainment when you have a long cook going and a few to many vinos in yah!
  • It is like everything else in life. When you are wanting to buy one, the used prices are high. When you have one, no one will give you much for it.

As a buyer ask your self at what point would you be willing not to have a new with warranty egg.

10% - no way, 20% na for $150 or so I'd rather have new.

20%, 30% ($225 or so - probably not). 40%, 50% - possible to probable.

People buying used want a deal.

The value in the egg is what you get out of it - good friends and great food.

GG
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A friend whose BBQ budget is quite limited has been looking for the last 2 years at the rare Eggs that show up on eBay or Craigslist. He did find one large at $500 about 150 miles down the road. But it was sold before he made his decision.

If you cook only a few times a week, the Egg's low charcoal use will help pay for it. Same friend just mentioned has an inexpensive off-set cooker, and he uses 4 - 5 times more charcoal than I do for comparable cooks.

Yes, you will probably want a hand setting it up, but they can be moved with care once in a nest or in a table w. wheels. Just don't roll one down stairs.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I think only you can answer that - look within yourself. Do you trade cars or other vehicles often? How often do you change girl friends or spouses? Do you tire of them or love the thrill of the chase? It almost sounds to me like you want a prenuptial agreement with your BGE! Do you have a buddy who might share your desire to buy an egg so that you could in fact hedge your bet that way?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I have seen roughly 10 used eggs for sale over the past 6 months alone and I do not go looking for them. Most are mentioned here on this forum and I have seen a few on ebay or craigslist.

This is not a high number considering how many eggs are on the market but it is a lot more than I would have expected to see given all of the hype and commentary posted by veteran eggers here on this forum.

My experience has been that used eggs are available fairly often but they also sell pretty quick. Price always seems to be between 30-50% below retail. I doubt any of the sellers charge for tax or shipping which is a nice bonus but then again you usually have to drive a bit out of your way to pick it up. You can probably ask more and sell it for only 20-30% discount but you would have to keep it in like-new condition with all accessories and it will probably take a bit longer to sell. If your egg is an older model, missing pieces, or is damaged in any way then expect to sell it for a 50% dicount or even lower.

Don't forget that the lifetime warranty is void on a used egg that has been transfered. This won't deter many buyers if the price is right but the warranty is worth a few hundred or even a few thousand if you listen to some of the more radical posters on here.

Personally I would expect to save at least $250 when buying a large egg used but in good condition, and I wouldn't spend more than $150 extra to get the warranty. To each his own. Either way it is a good investment and you should get enough value out of it to justify the purchase whether you keep it or sell it.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    That lasts the rest of your life :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    :laugh: Thats a good one RRP. I was married pre EGG or there would have been a prenup. "Okay honey you get the house but the eggs are mine!!"
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    OK -- straight talk, here.

My wife bought me my first Egg. I treated it like a hibatchi, except that I didn't use lighter fluid. I had ruined, burnt food off of it [hamburgers and hot dogs] because I didn't know how to use it.

I went to the dealership, but the sales "kids" there [t'was a hardware store] didn't know how to use it, either... told me I should have bought one of their fancy-dancy gassers.

So -- I went months without using the Egg -- sort of forgot about it... and then accidentally discovered this forum.

Now -- I use it all the time. And food has never tasted so good -- like...

> baked bread
    > all kinds of roasts
    > all kinds of veggies
    > even pies!

Granted, there is a learning curve. But with this forum, that learning curve points straight up. And, as you can see from perusing the forum on any given day, there are plenty of experts willing to help you on any given cook.

Take my kitchen oven. Take my microwave.

Not my Eggs!

~ Broc

:) :laugh: :)
  • When I got my egg, a friend of mine mocked me and told me that I would use it for a few weeks and then it would get ignored just like his cappuccino maker. That was a year ago. I use it about 3x a week. Every time he comes over he ask me to make something on the egg for him.
  • jld
    jld Posts: 63
    Ugh, so you guys convinced me to jump, picked up the phone to order a demo egg only to find out that the dealer had sold the last one 5 minutes earlier.

*!?*!

Anyone have an egg for sale?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Doesnt matter. Just find one and buy it. You will get som much enjoyment out of it, a difference of $100 will be nothing.