Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about ancho chili powder

Options
Vincent Chase
Vincent Chase Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few of the recipes I've been mulling over for my next cook have called for ancho chili powder (as well as chili de arbol and pasilla powders).

I checked most of the stores in my area and have found nothing, and the best I could do after an exhaustive search was to find bags of these dried chili's. I bought them and threw them into my Magic Bullet and tried to grind them as small as I could. Some of them aren't completely dried out, even after doing this a couple weeks ago. They still have a raisin-like texture and moisture to them.

I found a website that has these powders, but when I read the fine print it says they are a spice blend. What are they blended with? Can I use my chopped chili's in place of the actual powders? Or should I just spring for the powders online?

Thank you in advance,

VC

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Try buying your powder from these folks.

http://www.atlanticspice.com/

We buy there all the time and the products are fresh and inexpensive. They ship very quickly as a rule.

Hope this helps.

PS They have all of the ground chili powders then some!
  • Fencewire
    Options
    The site below should help as well. I was in the Pendery's store yesterday in Fort Worth. It was without a doubt the most compreshensive chili spice/pepper/etc. store I've ever been in. They had dozens of varieties of dried chillies, spice blends, powders, etc. Spent about $30 in 20 minutes.

http://www.penderys.com/
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    Greetings VC,
    good lead on the spice co in that response. do you have a latino or mexican market around? that is where you can normally find any type of chili supplies you need. good luck
  • Essex County
    Options
    We get most of our chili powder and dried chiles from Penzey's.

Penzey's ancho chili powder

You can make your own powder in a coffee grinder. Deseed first.

And hold your breath when you open the grinder!

Paul
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Your post got my attention.Atlantic is half the price of Penzy's.I have purchased mine from Mc Cormick spices which is home base here in Maryland.But I have to drive 140 miles to find it.Bobby Flay got me hooked on this stuff about five years ago and the flavor it imparts I really like.This is the first time that I have seen Atlantic mentioned as a supplier of spices and if their mix is the real deal that is a good price.But in the back of my mind I think that you get what you pay for.Any other Atlantic customers out there and how are their products?
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    Options
    I gotta second Fencewire's Penderys rec. I used to live in Dallas and would drive over to Ft Worth a few times a year for their Chili spices. Fresh, ground there and in business over a century. The specialize in chili's
    check them out on the net.
    ancho mixed with some chipotle gives a nice flavor in a bbq rub or marinade.

best
    allen
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    VC,

We are ancho chili powderless out in our area too. A couple of old farts here on the forum sent some out to me.

I have a small amount left from that stash and since I am an old fart too, and depending on how much you need I will be happy to send what I can (leaving myself some).

Promise not to spit in the stuff I sent. :laugh:

Sorry Chubby & Fidel - love ya both.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You're still welcome, but I'm still a pup.

Another good source is World Spice Merchants in Seattle. They hand grind to order and it is good stuff. Their chipotle powder is fantastic as well.
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Another good one to try is:

www.penzeys.com[url][/url]
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You don't have to be old to be an old fart. I found that out a long time ago.

I will check the Seattle connection...

GG
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Chile pepper is often confused with chili powder. When a recipe refers to chile pepper, this means pure chile pepper. The most commonly used is the ancho pepper in its ground form. A chili powder, on the other hand, is a mixture of ingredients. Check your semantics and be sure you are reading/using the proper terms... ;)