Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg on a wood deck

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the market for a new grill and the green egg sounds exciting. I live in a townhome with a wood deck and feel that gas would probably be a safer choice. Am I wrong? Is it possible to use this on a wooden deck?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    frankly, i think gas is as potentially dangerous. any grill on a wood deck is a source of disaster. i had my gas grill catch on fire a few years before i got the egg, and because it's not airtight, i couldn't get the fire to go out. big ol gas bottle sitting next to it kinda made me fill my pampers.

with the egg, my concern would be a stray coal. that said, you can shut it down air tight.

also, the egg gets hot enough on the bottom to scorch wood, so most folks have it up on a paver stone or something similar.

safest thing is not to have any kind of grill on a wood deck, but i would say the egg is no more dangerous (and possibly safer) than a gasser
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    see this post

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=498225&catid=1

I agree with Stike and where ever you have a grill you need to be careful. But yes you can have a Big Green Egg on a wood deck. I would suggest a fire mat or two and have it raised off of the ground like in the post above. Many of us have the bGE in tables or nests which will serve your purpose...and food in the BGE is sooooo much better than gas....
  • vidalia1
    Options
    see this post

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=498225&catid=1

I agree with Stike and where ever you have a grill you need to be careful. But yes you can have a Big Green Egg on a wood deck. I would suggest a fire mat or two and have it raised off of the ground like in the post above. Many of us have the bGE in tables or nests which will serve your purpose...and food in the BGE is sooooo much better than gas....
  • vidalia1
    Options
    stupid back button.... :silly:
  • Fire Walker
    Options
    You can also buy a fireproof mat made for BBQs that would make a BGE relativly safe on a wooden deck, that and pavers under the Egg would make it as safe as an indoor free standing fireplace.
    FireWalker
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Error between chair & keyboard? :blush:
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Patiodame....I use my lge BGE on my deck. But...it sits on a table with a paver beneath the egg and on the the feet that came with the egg. I always stay with the egg unless i'm doing low and slow cooks and then the bottom vent is almost closed and the daisey is almost closed. No problems so far with sparks or backflash.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al
    :)

Opelika, Alabama
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    I have a med. that I have had for 3 yrs now. It has always been on my wood deck. Never have thought there could be a problem. My egg is in a nest so it is not sitting on the deck.

As far as which one is safer you have to look at how many houses have burnt down because of their gas grills had a leak and caught the deck on fire.Never have heard about an egg leaking and catching the deck on fire.

Doug
    Dallas,Ga.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    You know me too well Pat... :laugh:
  • ewjd
    ewjd Posts: 21
    Options
    I've been using my egg on a wooden deck going on three years without any problems. I have it in a home built table so it's off the floor. Very important to have the sliding screen in place on the bottom vent to keep those burning embers from flying out.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I used a WWWW-W-Weber kettle for probably 30 yrs on a wooden deck with only a few little singes here and there.

You can always throw your wifes beer on it :evil:
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    I used a Weber charcoal grill on my deck for 19 years, and the BGE for the last year plus. I got in the habit of hosing off the area around the Weber when I lit it, because it did throw some sparks, but the Egg is much less. But to echo previous posts, keep any heat source up off the deck, use a bit of caution and keep an eye on things. There really is very little danger- about like your gas cooktop and a dish towel or hot pad.
    That being said, the Egg cooks so much better than a gasser that you really should take that leap and see what all these folks are going on and on about. You will find it is for good reason.
    Hope this helps and we can welcome you to the community.
    Al