Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach wood for smoking

Options
Willie
Willie Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some wood that I have cut up, do I have to remove the bark, will it make for bitter tasting smoke?
Willie.

PS I will let it age for at least six months.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have just cut up my Peach wood also. I have been told no you do not have to take off the bark...and yes 6 months minimum for drying...

I also just got some Fig wood from a friend...it is a year old and I can't wait to try it on chicken or pork...mmmm
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    Kim, Thanks for the prompt answer to my question. I envy you having the Fig Wood, Bon Appetit'. Willie
  • Bushgator
    Bushgator Posts: 112
    Options
    Hey how long does dried wood last? down here in Fl we have a ton of humidity and I have had some guava and oak in a bucket in my garage for over 2 years now.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I keep my woods in plastic buckets and drawers in the garage here in Melbourne Fl and some has been there 5 years and no problems with moisture. However after FAY this week may have a different answer.
  • Bushgator
    Bushgator Posts: 112
    Options
    Thats good to hear about the wood that is , there is another brewing out in the atlantic and looks to be a slight chance of a couple more behind that one off of Africa.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    BOO! Got a rental with 3-4 inches of water in the garage and the golf course in the back yard has dissapeared and the back patio is 2 inches under water. Just pulled the flood policy and only have a $500 deductible. Been wanting to redo the kitchen. Good idea but the wrong reason.i