Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Want a BGE - Scared of my covered porch. . .

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I cooked on a friend's BGE, and I like it a lot. I was determined not to replace my gas grill until it died. But I'm compelled by the versatility and taste.

My father in law has the wife convinced that we'll burn down our house if we get a BGE.

It'll be a HUGE pain to put it downstairs in the back yard. There's no pad, and I'll just have to store it under the porch b/c I won't be able to get it up the stairs each time.

Honestly I'm a bit more concerned about the smoke on the vinyl siding 9 feet above the porch. There's nothing above that but attic. No insulation or anything. All that smoke would have to do something bad, right?

When I have smoke right now, it exits out the back and bottom of the grill. The ceiling fans manage to quickly disperse it.

So what do you all think?

Here's a photo of my cooking area.

img2007vx1.jpg

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Everyone tries to be very careful but there are a few on here that have had major damage due to accidents. I had a close call on our porch and it was my own stupidity. It is your own call. A grill mat would be a good thing and always keep the draft grate closed so sparks don't fly around.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Okay I'll weigh in on this one.

From your photo you shouldn't have any problems.

However, yes there's a however all the time, I would place it by the outside rail and make sure you get one of the cement mats the big box stores sell to put under it to catch any stray coals that may pop out of the lower vent.

I would be surprised if you didn't bet some smoke stain on the ceiling . . . maybe.

Even at temperatures of 600º - 800º the heat that comes out of the top pretty much dissipates 3 or 3 feet up.

If you had to your could set up some sort of simple deflector when you do high temps.

Get the Egg and enjoy yourself! You won't regret it.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Don't see any problem with the ceiling but with any grill you have to be careful with a wood deck. I think the Egg is safer than the gas grill.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    This is a decision you have to make on your own because if anything DID happen I nor anyone else would want to be responsible. However, I have a very similar situation/arrangement to yours and I have not had any problem..I did go to Lowe's and get some of the spark pads you can get in their grill area to put under my eggs to add some extra protection..and I don't leave it unattended during lighting when you have both bottom vent wide open and the daisy wheel off just in case of some sparking...my porch ceiling is bead board with insulation above..I have noticed a slight discoloration on that end of the porch..but with the fans going and open ventilation, it is barely noticeable...good luck with your decision...
    Porch080408.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    we started with ours on our screened in porch and have moved them to the gazebos only because we have three now and there was not room. the gazebo is screened but the top is very high so it clears out the smoke fast.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Don't worry about it.

I have a lower roof than that and never had any problems. 2 plus years.

Spacey
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I would say,go for it.You have a pretty tall ceiling and I wouldn't worry too much :whistle: My ceiling is much smaller,but also much lower :whistle: No problems in 4 years ;) I agree with the other guys,get a grill mat ;)

018-4.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Doug, glad to see all three babies are back in their crib.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Looking at this porch, first I would say, nice porch and if I moved there My Egg Would Move With Me...SO, get a 8 or 10" stove pipe flange and affix it to the lid (and below the diverter) with JB Weld (or Furnace tape initially). Then get a single section of stove pipe and a elbow, cut the stove pipe down to about 10 inches and screw it to the elbow (a 90 degree elbow). When you get up to temp and have the daisy wheel set just right, place the stove pipe on the flange and the heat will be discharged entirely out the elbow and off the end of your porch.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Eggtucky wrote:
    This is a decision you have to make on your own because if anything DID happen I nor anyone else would want to be responsible. However, I have a very similar situation/arrangement to yours and I have not had any problem..I did go to Lowe's and get some of the spark pads you can get in their grill area to put under my eggs to add some extra protection..and I don't leave it unattended during lighting when you have both bottom vent wide open and the daisy wheel off just in case of some sparking...my porch ceiling is bead board with insulation above..I have noticed a slight discoloration on that end of the porch..but with the fans going and open ventilation, it is barely noticeable...good luck with your decision...
    Porch080408.jpg

And if I'm correct by the door hangs an 'ABC" fire extinguisher. Perhaps the most essential accessory to any grill that you hope you never need.

Smart man.
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    There has to be a way to angle a stove pipe a little to get smoke off the porch - if - and only if the wind is blowing right. If the wind's blowing at your house, the pipe won't help, unless you take it above the porch roof. You may even be able to build a damper into the pipe to eliminate the daisey wheel. Of course, it's gonna get hot and you'll have to take it off every time you lift the lid, so I take back everything I just said. Too big a PITA. I'm thinking you'd get a lot of smoke in that area close to your house.

stove_pipe_1_333x444.jpg
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    Tell FIl to get a life. :laugh:
  • Would a floor standing fan with decent airflow blowing over the top be a bad thing for my cooking?
  • Drunk at the EGG
    Options
    I have a Large with a 10 foot sheetrocked ceiling. No problems whatsoever. The heat really does dissipate after 3 or 4 feet (even at 700). It has been over a year and the white paint hasn't even shown any discoloration. My covered patio also has wood beams that overhang that also keep the smoke underneath the patio (my neighbors always think my house in on fire). Good luck.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    There is no way in he77 I would put an egg out there until you are very eggsperienced.

Mike
  • I have a covered patio constructed the same as your porch only our patio is screened-in instead of open. The ceiling height and construction is identical to yours. I have lived here 5 1/2 years and have had NO issues to date. There is zero discoloration on the vinyl, much less any burning or melting. We have a large BGE in a nest. Get the egg. My experience indicates you won't have any problems.

Joe
    Mobile
  • Conundrum
    Options
    I also have a porch very similiar to yours, same heights and materials. The only real difference is that the end where your grill is on my porch is a wall. Since my porch has a wall there, I used to store my egg in the same spot your grill is shown and roll it 90 degrees to the right to cook to get it in the open. I did this for about two years. I did notice some slight discoloration directly above where I cooked. I decided I enjoyed cooking on the egg enough that I went through the time and expense of installing a commerical vent hood so I could leave my egg in the spot your grill is now and cook there. After I was all done installing the hood I got a ladder and a bottle of 409 cleaner to try to clean up the discoloration - much to my surprise it came off easy. I'd do the vent again on my porch, but on yours I'd say go ahead, you should have zero problems.
  • So you vented through the roof?

Mind if I ask how much you spent to get all that done?

:side: