Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Liver (eeeeewwwwwww)

Options
Ar-Cee
Ar-Cee Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, my spouse LOVES beef liver and BROUGHT SOME HOME. She looked at the egg and looked at me and said "What do you think". Ok, I have been married to the same woman for 37+ years. I am NOT going to say what I think! One of our rules has always been "If you like it, you can eat it, and I won't make fun of it as long as I don't have to eat it too". (This is really a good rule for long marriages). Now, all that said, the gauntlet has been thrown down. She wants "egged liver". Anybody have any experience with this? I could just foil it with some onions and throw it on the grill at 350 indirect and maybe that is the answer. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have about 3 hours to come up with a plan. Ain't love grand? thanks rc

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I like to do liver in a cast iron skillet so it gets seared a bit.... bacon & onions in there too!! 8 - )
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Never done on BGE however like to soak in milk for 30 minutes or so, dredge in flour w/ salt amd pepper and fry in oil. Saving the milk and mix with the flour in the cooking pan after the oil is drained off and makes a great gravy.
  • Ar-Cee
    Options
    Ok, the plan:
    I have never done pictures because of lack of skill (both the food and the photography). This will NOT be the time to start... :)
    I will set up a direct on a cast iron skillet. Put a chunk of pecan on, then a couple of slices of bacon in the skillet, then the onions, close the lid till carmelized, then the liver (I can't believe I am posting this), close the dome at about 350 f. Turn the liver and stop at medium. (She likes it medium rare, but, I stared at her till she agreed to medium (gives me a range for overcooking). Anyway, thanks to all who responded even on this subject. This will be much more dramatic than just the foil. (I might even taste it). I wonder what DP would go well with Liver? rc
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    One thing I can say without hesitation is there will NEVER be any kind of liver cooked on my EGG. There are very few foods I or the family won't eat but liver is one of them. I wouldn't post pictures of it either.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Me nether but I'd like give it a try. I only cook with baby beef liver, first browning bacon then chopped onions in cast iron then the liver is cooked until just done fliping once with salt and pepper for seasoning. I make liver dinner the same day I donate blood, figure I'll get re-charged quicker that way. A ritual feast of sorts. Good with strong beer or red wine, more re-charging....
    Good idea with the milk for gravy.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Hey, are you going to Eggwegofest? Looking forward to meeting you there. -RP
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ar-Cee,

Provimi veal liver (or grain fed veal) can be grilled without any problem. Season with garlic, salt and pepper and a little olive oil. Cook to medium rare. I serve it with grilled corn, red and green peppers, onions and baby red potatoes. All grilled.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Good Luck. My wife loves that stuff too. She just picked up some duck livers. There is no way that stuff is getting any where near the Egg.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I'm going :P ...looking forward to cooking with you and other eggers big time...this is my first eggfest!!! :woohoo:
  • Ar-Cee
    Options
    Just to close this event. It worked out fine. I put a spider with my pizza stone down. Cast iron frying pan at 350 with an elevated grid. Pre-heated the ci frying pan then added 6 strips of bacon cut into squares. Rendered the bacon and added one whole vadaillia (sp) sweet onion sliced to 1/4 inch and cross cut the slices once. Carmalized the onions then added the prepped liver (salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a touch of sesame). Turned the liver once, then deglazed the pan/liver/onion/bacon with a half a cup of tap water. Slapped a lid on the ci pan and let it reduce the water/brown bits. To the plate and serve. She said it was Wonderful. It actually didn't look too bad, but, I still won't eat liver. thanks to all for advice. rc
  • ElsabetRiver
    Options
    Just came across this because I have a ton of beef livers.  I wasn't expecting some dork telling his life story about his wife.  Tell me what you did to make it great, (probably it wasn't) and then end it.  Don't care that your wife divorced you after 40 years.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Even though you resurrected a zombie thread I would bet there won't be much help for a first poster with a punk attitude like that.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    ElsabetRiver, I never expected a noob to our site to start out with the first post insulting other posters. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Growing up, I always hated it when my mom served beef liver and onions.
    Liver is just plain gross in texture and in flavor.

Then one day while I was in the USAF, somehow we were on the discussion of liver and I voiced my opinion.  Someone told me I should try chicken liver, they are completely different.  So, I tried them.  The effing mother effer was a gosh darn liar.  They had the same disgusting texture and same disgusting organ flavor.

That was back in 1981, and I can positively say I have never had liver since then and I will never eat liver again.  Liver will never ever go on my BGE, not as long as I am alive.  Thankfully, my wife also doesn't like liver.  I have no problems throwing away the liver & heart from whole turkeys and chickens I buy.  Now when I had dogs in my backyard, I would boil up the liver and heart and after the water cooled, pour it over their kibble.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Here's a recipe that I have made before ...
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sauteed-liver-with-indian-spices
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    My wife and I have been married for almost 18 years and we love each other still.  We both hate liver. @ElsabetRiver
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I enjoy eating calf liver with bacon and onions. ..

Options
    If you can get it provimi liver (white veal) is awesome. Marinate it in an Italian salad dressing for a couple of hours. Grill it around 400* until medium rare

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Just came across this because I have a ton of beef livers.  I wasn't expecting some dork telling his life story about his wife.  Tell me what you did to make it great, (probably it wasn't) and then end it.  Don't care that your wife divorced you after 40 years.

The return of tweeve?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I am still newly wed we only have survived 24 years and we both like liver. Calf's liver really is the best and don't cook it to well done.  Pig's liver is pretty bitter and I choose not to buy it. 

Gerhard
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Ci with some bacon fat topped off with peppers and onions
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    My father is the only one in the family that will eat it, and in fact, order it every time it is on the menu when we go out and eat. My mother will not cook it for him any more because she can not stand the smell of it.  I would love to make it for him as a surprise when he comes over one day. His birthday is coming up, and I am sure he would love for me to cook it for him. I can not even do a "test cook" and try it one someone else - there is no one else I know that eats it.
    So a few questions when cooked in the egg:

The method I am thinking:
    Cook the bacon to rare, and render some fat out.
    Add the onions, and cook it a hair bit more than when you sweat them.
    Push onions to edge of pan, and then place liver directly on the pan.
    What is medium rare to medium for liver? The same as any other beef? 135-140 ish?
    If cooked in a CI pan at 350, what is approximate cooking time? Does it cook fast?

Thoughts/ideas/comments/corrections?  Any and all are welcome.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.