Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the mini egg too small??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently visited my local green egg retailer t price the different size eggs. I want to get one very much, but it seems that on my budget I can only afford the mini for now. It seems kinda small to cook much of anything. Does anyone out there have one.? Do you get alot of use out of it?

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    DGOAT,[p]3 burgers, 3 chicken breasts, 2 steaks, 8 hot dogs, 3 pork chops, pork tenderloin, roasted peanuts, pita bread, single serving pizza, ....[p]The gist is if you're cooking for 2, no more than 3, you can get away with a mini. You cannot do a low and slow, such as a boston butt, without tending to the fire during the cook. The mini just doesn't have the capacity.[p]Puj
  • Puj
    Options
    Ok, Larry gets 4 chops. :)[p]YB, see you in 26 days.[p]Puj
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Puj,
    We can hardly wait to see you guys.Here is a picture of mini with 27 chicken wing drumetts using two grids and a few shrimp kabobs.
    Larry

[ul][li]Mini at work[/ul]
  • Puj
    Options
    YB,[p]You are the "high capacity guy"! What'ya guys going to cook this year?[p]Cheryl's working on an apple cake for this year, and I'm going to bake some bread(s).[p]Puj
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Puj,
    I have no idea what we will cook this year.Kaye may cook a couple of the breakfast casseroles and i might do some onion pies and bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind.
    Larry

• DGOAT,
    It's almost the end of the obsessive season although, in truth, there is no "season"-- the justification for ours was to be able to cook in a blizzard with a power failure. The larger you go the happier you'll be if you only have one. Sooner or later you won't be able to live without doing a low and slow cook and you can't do that on a mini Ask everyone to give you a chunk of the small or the medium for Christmas (or whatever holiday you get presents for)
    However, given that ownership of these is a disease in that you cannot own only one (all of you with more than one sign in and tell him which sizes you would get if you did it over) you may want the mini now for instant gratification and a larger one later. We have a large and the mini was the add on...to take camping. We haven't camped but we have used the mini!
    KK

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    KK,
    Do not tell Rhum & Jerk that you can not do low and slo on the mini. I have seen him do baby back ribs, jerky and some other cooks doing low and slo. He did those at EGGtoberfest 2001 in Atlanta last year.

• JJ,
    But some of us are mere mortals....
    KK