Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how do I keep a pork butt warm?

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question for you eggers out there.[p]I just took a 8lb. boston butt roast (bone it) off the egg after a 14 hour cook. The temp reached 195+ in less time than I thought...so I was wondering how I keep it warm till dinner later this evening. Should be about 6-7 hrs before we eat. Will this work: wrap in foil, wrap in preheated towels, then put in cooler. I don't want the meat to spoil. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Dave,
    You answered your own question.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Dave,
    I fill my cooler with hot water for ten minutes and pour it out, put the meat wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler.
    Larry

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    Dave,[p]Cook's Illustrated did an in depth analysis on cooking onery cuts like shoulder and chuck roast. Quite by accident they had left a roast in for one hour after it reached target temp (they like 210 degrees). They learned that the temp never goes about 210, it just hangs there. It came out the most tender of all their test roast. The fat had completely rendered down and it was very juicy. Because of altitude in Denver, my target temp is 201, once it hits 201 it doesn't go any higher. At this time I usually wrap in foil and let it stay in the egg for another hour or more. If dinner is not for awhile longer or I'm bringing the roast somewhere else, I'll wrap in towels and place in a cooler.[p]Good stuff, enjoy.[p]CC