Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Experiment for Crispy Chicken Skin

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC00978.jpg
I read that storing the uncooked chicken in the refrigerator, uncovered, for a long while would dry it out and result in a crispier skin when cooked. I seasoned a 4-lb. bird with Raging River, put it open on a plate in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then let it come to room temp. I cooked it at 350º on a raised grid for 40 minutes, and it was really beautiful to look at!

It was a LITTLE crispier--but even that passed as it cooled (by that time I'd jammed most of it in my mouth; I don't have to share). The crispiest parts were those with a layer of fat under the skin, like the outside of the leg.

One neat trick I tried was cutting a slit in the web between the breast and the thigh and sticking the end of the leg through it. No more floppy legs! And of course tucking the wings behind the shoulder.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Judy,

I did the 500# chicken last week with chicken parts and the skin was relly good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    Judy Mayberry wrote:
    It was a LITTLE crispier--but even that passed as it cooled (by that time I'd jammed most of it in my mouth; I don't have to share). The crispiest parts were those with a layer of fat under the skin, like the outside of the leg.

Interesting observation about the fat. Next time, you might want to try running you fingers under the skin on the brests (and thighs for that matter) to separate it from the meat. Then, push a few pats of butter under the skin.

Spatchcocking the bird and cooking at 500-degrees will also help get that crackling skin.

__Jason
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. This was spatchcocked. At 500º, I would worry about the bottom facing the coals getting cremated, and the skin too dark, before the thigh and leg are cooked enough. Even at 350º, the skin on the bottom was really charred. At 40 minutes, though, perfectly cooked.

What do you think?
    Judy in San Diego
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    Indirect heat would be the way to go. To be honest, I haven't done it in the egg yet (I'm a new egghead!) but I've done 500-degree chicken countless times in the oven. When the chicken is laid flat, you can rotate the legs up and over the breasts which offers protection for the breast, keeping it from cooking too fast.

__Jason
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    I do my 500 degree chickens up side down. Yes, the breast meat on the grid. While I haven't spatchcocked one yet, I can assure you that all the meat--especially the breast meat--is juicy and tender. The skin is crispy all over the bird. I do not use any oil or rub, just a little salt and pepper, and I don't put anything between the meat and the skin...just plop it down on the grid, up side down. I use my plate setter, but no raised grid. Made them about 6 times so far, and it's consistantly the best chicken I've made.
    DSCN3085.jpg
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Did you oil the skin? I've also found that 24 hours isn't enough time for the skin to completely dry out. You can see the change in the skin as it dries. It becomes somewhat transluscent and leathery. You want the whole bird to be like that. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    how long did you cook the bird at 500 degrees?
    Thanks Jerome
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    One hour. Also, they have all been under 4 lbs.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Yep, oiled the skin before I rubbed in the Raging River. I did see the translucent, leathery look and it had a kind of hard feel to it.

I'll try the plate setter next time, though that will take it out of the "fast cooking" category that I like about it. Time to preheat, probably more time to cook.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    Thats exactly how I do mine, best chicken I have ever cooked.
  • Rivermute
    Rivermute Posts: 35
    Options
    I have heard that chinese cooks dip chicken/duck/goose in boiling water before transfering to ice water and patting dry. Supposedly this makes for SUPER crispy skin. Anyone try this method?