Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your fav ABT recipe?

Options
Jeeves
Jeeves Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Curious as I'm FINALLY doing ABTs... I see all the versatile recipes out there....

Just curious what ya'll favorites ones may be...

Comments

• Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    Tried and true - Cream cheese and Lil' Smokies. We like to dice up the lil' smokies and mix them into the softened (not melted) cream cheese. Keep a little bit of the seeds in on at least a few of them. If you want almost no heat, devein/deseed/and wash throughly before stuffing. Some would say to wear gloves when working with Jalapenos. Cheap thin bacon for the wrap. 2 toothpicks...

Have fun...they are a blast!
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I've only done them once, but they were killer. I used Neufchatel (much like cream cheese) and Mexican-style pork chorizo. Removed the sausage from the casing and fried it up in ABT-sized chunks - let them cool. Pressed the chorizo nuggets into the cheese loaded boats. Sprinkled with Dizzy Dust before and after wrapping in apple-smoked bacon. 400° high in the dome on a grid extender over a drip pan - about 45 min.
  • GatorEgg
    GatorEgg Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm with you on those Lil'Smokies. They're the best and easy to prepare.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Are you able to find jalapenos for this?

Greg
  • opod
    opod Posts: 41
    Options
    i've been doing them with cream cheese, a little fresh garlic mixed in, a slice of country ham and of course the cheap/thin bacon wrap. Also, for my wife who hates hot stuff, i've put them on small poblano peppers--just enough for a touch of spice without being too "hot."
    klk
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    I like using pickled jalapenos with different combos of a local smoked sausage or andouille, shrimp, smoked greuyer, cream cheese, smoked gouda. Name you can put it on.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • Meatatarian
    Options
    My only recommendation is to forgo the toothpicks. I LOVE those little suckers.

Meat
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    2 Favorites

1. cream cheese mixed with paul Newman's mango salsa..stuff the jalapenos and put pulled pork or l'il
    smokey on top and wrap in bacon...indirect with a drip pan at 375 for 30-40 minutes

2. Leftover cheese grits stuffed in the jalapeno with a small piece of country ham or L'il smokey wrapped in bacon...cooked the same way as above... :P
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Your second suggestion sounds great. It could be the side at breaskfast with a couple of eggs and toast. I'm liking this one....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yep we did the cheese grits ABT's for bkfast while camping...it really gets your day started right...
  • Jeeves
    Options
    No problem in Austin - there are more sources than McAllen/Agricola.
  • Jeeves
    Options
    I stand corrected... They recalled them ALL OVER, so the ones I have are in question...

I'll start another thread
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    I mix cream cheese and jalapeno jack cheese (chopped up) and stuff 'em with that ..then the bacon on the outside...I prefer Oscar Meyer ...just seems to get crispier. ...then .. a little sprinkle of any one of a number of rubs (lately I've bene using the Lotta Bull brand) and my guests always go wild !!
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Jeeves,

Haven't seen you for a while. Everything good? My abt's are ricotta, thyme, Monterrey Jack, pulled pork or chorizo. Slit them from bottom to stem and wrap with thin, streched bacon. A little beer and chipoltle sauce and thats it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    No japalo's available here!! Now that local tomato's are available it has changed to japalo's. I think the source of this new outbreak must be Charmin'. Please use caution. :unsure: TNmike
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Ground sirloin browned in a skillet with your choice of taco seasoning, Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy, or Mrs. Dash Chipotle. Stuff the jalapenos with the beef, add a stick of hot pepper smoked cheese on top, wrap with bacon, smoke with mesquite at 250-300 for 90 minutes. Pure heaven, plain and simple.
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    First year I've ever decided to grow my own and boy am I glad i did. Already picked 8 of em' lastnight and will clean and stuff them today. Find a local farm market or start asking around and I bet you find plenty of locally grown for sale. Just a thought.