Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey Lemon Shrimp

Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was mighty tasty. Started off with the following for a marinade:

3 Tbsp Honey
3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
a few grinds black pepper
2 tsp Dizzy Pig Shakin' The Trees

Whisked all together and soaked about 1.5 pounds of 16-20 ct raw shrimp (peeled and veined) in 2/3 of the marinade for about 30 minutes while the BGE came up to 350. Reserve about 1/3 of the marinade for brushing the shrimp as they finish.

Grilled them direct on raised grid in the holy wok, but skewered would work fine as well. Dusted with additional Shakin' The Trees on each side as they cooked. They go for about 3-4 minutes per side or until they curl up. The honey will caramelize a little and give a nice sweet crunch that is offset by the tang of the lemon juice and dijon mustard.

Brushed with the reserved marinade when done.

For a side dish made some jalapeno creamed corn (I grow my own jalapenos, so no salmonella here).

6 ears fresh white sweet corn
2 jalapenos
1/3 c heavy cream
2 Tbsp butter

Cut the corn from the ears. Fire roast the jaalpenos and dice. Mix with the corn, then melt butter in a heavy cast iron pan at 350*. Cook the corn and jalapenos in the butter for a few minutes, then add the cream and cook until corn is tender and cream is reduced. Salt and pepper to taste.

Great summer time meal!

RawShrimp.jpg

DoneShrimp.jpg

PlatedShrimp.jpg

Comments

• ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    That looks fatastic. I can't wait to try that one out!
  • ChefTone
    ChefTone Posts: 42
    I suddenly feel like eating shrimp..

Anthony
    Canadian Egger
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    :woohoo: I will try my next batch of shrimp this way.Looks great Rod.BTW,sorry to hear that you can't make it to Ted's house on Saturday.Maybe next time :whistle:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Rod, nice looking meal!!! -RP
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Hey Rod,

That looks and sounds pretty darn tasty--I'm thinking that the next trip to the store will include some shrimp, corn, and some jalapenos. Not really too worried about the FDA findings...I was eating tomatoes the whole time while people were scared to eat 'em.

Thanks for the recipes!
  • Sweathog
    Sweathog Posts: 75
    Nice work, Rod! I think I found my next Saturday night special!

Sweathog

Jim Massie
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Rod
    That looks awesome. Have to try.Specially the creamed corn. I'm in high speed mode til the end of the week and after that I'll arrange a shipment. You must be Jonesing right now. Price has gone up a little. :evil:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    You're such a sweetheart! I actually have a couple bottles of that Canadian gold, but those have been reserved for a certain South Carolinian egger. I had to put them on the top shelf of the pantry where the wife can't reach.

You'll love the corn, I honestly think it was better than the shrimp.
  • Fidel
    I want to make it, but my parents aren't in the best of health so I need to get the kids up there for a visit before school starts back up in 3 weeks.

One weekend we'll have to get together, I really want to see that "egg oasis" in your backyard.
  • Fidel
    Thanks. It really made for a nice meal on a hot summer night.
  • Fidel
    Thanks Randy. I actually went looking for shrimp to make your recipe...but decided to mix it up since I was already doing the corn with a little kick.
  • Fidel
    Thanks Mike. The corn recipe is definitely a repeat here.
  • ArchDeluxe
    ArchDeluxe Posts: 31
    Looks awesome! Can't wait to try that this week. :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Fidel,

What's he ever done for you. Seriously, I've been so busy I just haven't had a chance to get to the distributor. Wife does an awesome flatbread dough and I'm thinking of doing Bomba based flatbreads in Atlanta.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    You should give this a try...definitely different than most shrimp recipes I've done in the past.
  • Fidel
    Hope you enjoy. Thanks for the compliment.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    great looking cook!!!

thanks for the recepie ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Thanks TB. You putting it in the "library"?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I'll try yours next time. -RP
  • BENTE
    already done::

Shrimp, Grilled, Honey, Lemon, Fidel

This was mighty tasty. Started off with the following for a marinade:

3 Tbs Honey
    3 Tbs Lemon Juice
    1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp kosher salt
    a few grinds black pepper
    2 tsp Dizzy Pig Shakin' The Trees

1 Whisked all together and soaked about 1.5 pounds of 16-20 ct raw shrimp (peeled and veined) in 2/3 of the marinade for about 30 minutes while the BGE came up to 350. Reserve about 1/3 of the marinade for brushing the shrimp as they finish.
    2 Grilled them direct on raised grid in the holy wok, but skewered would work fine as well. Dusted with additional Shakin' The Trees on each side as they cooked. They go for about 3-4 minutes per side or until they curl up. The honey will caramelize a little and give a nice sweet crunch that is offset by the tang of the lemon juice and dijon mustard.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Seafood, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Fidel

Source:BGE Forum on 2008/07/21

Corn, Creamed, Jalapeno, Fidel

For a side dish made some jalapeno creamed corn (I grow my own jalapenos, so no salmonella here).

6 ears fresh white sweet corn
    2 jalapenos
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    2 Tbs butte

Cut the corn from the ears. Fire roast the jaalpenos and dice. Mix with the corn, then melt butter in a heavy cast iron pan at 350*. Cook the corn and jalapenos in the butter for a few minutes, then add the cream and cook until corn is tender and cream is reduced. Salt and pepper to taste.

Recipe Type
    Side Dish, Vegetarian

Recipe Source
    Author: Fidel

Source: BGE Forum on 2008/07/21

B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    That program is terrific!
  • BENTE
    and easy to use once you get used to doing it... but it took me a little while because i am slow :whistle: :cheer:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Fidel,

So do I. I'll put some decent lights in while I'm there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    The shrimp look and sound great (I love Shakin the Tree), but I am fired UP about the side! Sweet corn and the kick of fresh jalapeno! NICE! Can't wait to try.
  • Fidel
    The side was actually inspired by a fellow egger - but I don't think he spends time on the forum.

Kevin Rathbun is an incredible chef - he beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef a couple months ago. Anyway, I had a dinner at his steakhouse again this past Saturday night, and had the jalapeno creamed corn again. This time I committed the taste to memory and tried to replicate it.

I hope I did the original idea justice. I sure liked it.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Rod,

That looks great.

Personally, I am always looking for a good shrimp recipe. I will have to try this.

Greg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Good lookin shrimps Rod.

RB