Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb

Options
Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Done Greek style. This was 1/2 of a leg. Marinated in EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, fresh oregano & thyme, salt & pepper for a few hours.
004-3.jpg

Then grilled direct for about 1/2 an hour, flipping at 15 minutes. Pulled at 135 internal.
005-2.jpg

Sliced and served with pita bread, tzatziki, a salad of arugula, pine nuts, carmelized onions & goat cheese and some sliced sweet potatoes, roasted with EVOO & rosemary. Yummo!
006-1.jpg

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    That looks great. I have a new appreciation for lamb done on our eggs. I did one a couple weeks ago, and was surprised at how good they are with a little smoke and some rubs.

Nice pix too.
  • Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Options
    The leg of lamg looks great. I got 2 small lamb shanks in the refigerator, wondering if anybody had any good ideas?
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    I have never done lamb shanks on the Egg. I always think of braising shanks. But I suppose you could do a braise in the egg, using it as an oven. Hmmmm....
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    try this:::

Lamb, ShankS, Stew

Fishlessman, here's our favorite lamb stew recipe. I pick up lamb shanks whenever I see them on sale.

6 Tbs Peanut or vegetable oil
    8 lamb shanks
    2 onions
    4 cloves of garlic
    Sprinkling of salt
    1 Tbs turmeric
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 dried red chili pepper, crumbled, or 1/4 tsp dried red-pepper flakes
    2 tsp Cinnamon
    1/4 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
    Black pepper
    3 Tbs Honey
    1 Tbs Soy sauce
    3 Tbs Marsala wine
    6 Tbs Red lentils

1 To serve:
    2 Tbsp of chopped pistachios, chopped blanched almonds or a mixture of both.
    3 Put 3 Tbsp of the oil into a very large, wide, heavy-bottomed pan and warm over medium heat. Brown the lamb shanks--in batches--in the pan and then remove to a roasting pan or whatever else you've got at hand to sit them in.
    4 Peel the onions and garlic and process in a food processor or chop them finely by hand. Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the onion-garlic mush until soft, sprinkling salt over to stop it from sticking.
    5 Stir in the turmeric, ground ginger, chili, cinnamon and nutmeg and season with some freshly ground pepper. Stir again, adding the honey, soy sauce and Marsala. Put the shanks back in the pan, add cold water almost to cover, bring to the boil and then put a lid on the pan, lower the heat and simmer very gently for 1-1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Add the red lentils and cook for about 20 minutes longer without the lid, until the lentils have softened into the sauce, and the juices have reduced and thickened slightly. Check for seasoning.
    6 Toast the nuts by heating them for a few minutes in a dry frying pan and sprinkle onto the lamb as you serve it. This aromatic, sauce-rich stew can be served with plain rice or a bowl of butter-mashed potatoes, half potatoes and half parsnips, well-seasoned and spiced with mace.

Servings: 6

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, J Appledog, 12/29/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• East Bay Al
    East Bay Al Posts: 101
    Options
    Wow- I just cut and pasted that stew recipe. I intend to try it in a dutch oven, on the egg.
  • Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Options
    Terry, no wonder you are Steeler Fan, lamb for breakfast at heinz field, wash down with iron city.
    Check out the deal!!! for the Buffalo game, I sent you.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Fluffyb,
    I just love leg of lamb. I'm looking forward to trying it according to your directions!
    eenie meenie
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Fluffyb,
    Good job I bet that was a great meal.
    Ross
  • BENTE
    Options
    i looked at it but not at any length we had a puter problem i will.... thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    yea i was thinking the same thing maybe for rootball season ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    SF,

Braised lamb shanks are the bomb. Season them like BENTE said and then put them in a dutch oven with carrots, onions, celery, red pepper and garlic. Cover the veg with lamb or chicken stock and red wine. Set the shanks on the vegetables and braise at 300 for about 2 1/2 hours. Use olive wood if you can get it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Nice that is one original gyro. Pine nuts and sweet potatoes sound great.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Opa! I hope you had some Metaksa with that beautiful lamb, Fluff.
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Just bookmarked that recipe, sounds fantastic.