Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keri\'s Hog-Apple Baked Beans

Options
Ross in Ventura
Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSCN3390.jpg
I had the makings and the desire for some Baked Beans, they were great.
Ross

http://jasonsimonds.blogspot.com/2008/03/baked-beans-recipes.html[url][/url]

Comments

• Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    I make the second recipe on your blog: Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans. They are from another Smoking Meat forum. They are absolutely the best. When making, if it's possible to have some patience, make them using lots of hickory smoke, put in the refridge overnight and let rest, then reheat the next day. Out of this world. I now make no other recipe than Dutch's.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I did them with peach instead of apple on July 4th. The small sample I had before I took them to the inlaws was very good. While were gathered outside chatting with a beverage, my m-inlaw decided to warm them up and put them on the stove. 30 minutes later you could hardly see in the kitchen for the smoke. :( So much for my contribution towards dinner. I willl definetly make them again.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Nice looking beans, next time try them in a Dutch Oven on the egg--Great!!

Have yet to try the peach version, have only done the apple, may have to try some peach ones soon.
  • mattk330
    mattk330 Posts: 74
    Options
    I've recently made this twice. Both times were exceptional and I had to cough up the recipe to others. The second time I made them, I went with the larger cans of beans as suggested and used peach. I also only put in half of the brown sugar (the first time they were a bit sweet for us). Doing this way made them perfect in my eyes. Very very good recipe!

Last time I had to leave my mom some cooked spare rib trimmings becuase she wanted to make the recipe the following weekend for their homeowners potluck. She said they were the hit of the party.
  • ShortRIb
    ShortRIb Posts: 88
    Options
    Can't view web page to see recipe. Can someone please post????
  • mattk330
    mattk330 Posts: 74
    Options
    ShortRIb wrote:
    Can't view web page to see recipe. Can someone please post????

Here's what I copied to a Word doc a while back:
    Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
    2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
    1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
    1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 can apple pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
    1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
    1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and sauté onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
    _____

Lately, I've been using two of the 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - I think I'm going to try it with the new Honey variety next. Happier with the results with these. -kc

Another update... Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.
  • Tuck
    Tuck Posts: 54
    Options
    Here's a similar version - I've made both versions and they are both very good.

DUTCH'S WICKED BAKED BEANS
    (Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
    1/2 Medium onion, diced
    1/2 Bell pepper, diced
    1 - 2 Jalapeño Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
    1 - 55 ounce can Bush’s Baked Beans
    1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
    1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
    1 Cup ketchup
    1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Sauté onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 – 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard.