Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boneless rolled rib roast

Options
dls2122
dls2122 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up a really nice 4 pound rolled rib roast I can't wait to get into my egg. I'm not looking for a heavy smoke flavor, this meat should speak for itself. I'm looking for some great advice - what is the best way to cook this? Is low and slow better than blazing heat? If blazing should I go indirect (yes I have a plate setter)? I'll use a therm to determine when done, but do you have an estimate how long so I'm not popping a bunch of holes in the meat and opening the egg? Yes, I'm new to this and having a blast with my new egg (just before the 4th of July). I particularly love steaks at 650 - I'm amazed. Best steaks I've ever had.

I have read some great advice and recipes on this forum over the past week and am excited to see what you come up for this. And it's very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Comments

• emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Cut into 1 lb steaks and trex them.
    E
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    trex? what's that?
  • emilluca
    Options
    800 degree about 2 minutes on each side.
    Cast Iron grate for nice grill marks.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
  • emilluca
    Options
    I stand corrected. Sometimes my fingers say something differant then my head.
    E
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    Is TRex a noun or a verb? :) Funny how great ideas and proceedures can evolve into a language. Sorry, just struck me when I was reading this post. rc
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    The previous post they talked about making steaks, which would be really good, but if you had a roast in mind, somewhere in the nakedwhiz web site is a recipe for prime rib roasts which would probably do your rolled one very nicely. I think it is attributed to Mad Max. Basically, salt and pepper it (other spices/rubs optional), sear it at high temperature, and roast indirect at 350 to 400 deg until you get the internal temperature for your favorite doneness (use a meat thermometer to ensure the correct doneness). Sort of like trex but much longer cooking time since it's a large lump of beef. Slice it and eat it your way. Some on this forum have also posited that roasting until nearly at the right temperature and then searing is even better.

HH
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    TRex is the handle of a forum user who, I assume, popularized the method.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Don, there's several ways to do a rib roast, with different advantages. Lot depends on the final product you and your family like.

First, I hope you're starting with a choice or better roast. It does make a difference. With select, you're looking for disappointment.

Max's procedure listed above is excellent if a crust is what you're going for.

My son absolutely hates any meat that's not red/pink. I adore that thin layer of meat that's called the "sweet meat" or deckle. My son will leave it lay if it's brown... tears me up. With Max's procedure, it will be brown, so I go low and slow... 225 till it's done (128 for my family). There will be no crust (yeah, I miss the crust, but the roast will be so tender....

I don't remember what Max's recipe says about seasoning. But which ever way you go, if you can, I'd suggest salting the roast very well (probably more than you'd think) and let it sit, uncovered, in the fridge for a day or two. This gives the salt time to be absorbed into the meat. First it will extrude liquid out of the meat and it will sweat. But with the time, it will draw some of that liquid back in, pulling the salt with it....