Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Uncooked Ham

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm brining a ham for tomorrow. I don't want a pulled pork ham so looking for an internal temp of 170. If I cook at 250, how long for a ten pound ham to cook?[p]So I don't have to bother people with a relatively easy question, is there a reference readily available that provides cook times at various temps?[p]Thanks.[p]Fair Winds,
Carl

Comments

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    cvsusn, this aint no answer cuz I don't know. Just thinking out loud. A 9-1/2lb. butt takes 24 hours to get to 180 internal when cooked at 200. The brining may reduce the cook time. My butcher told me that in the good-ol-days, they would put whole hams in a brine tank in a walk-in cooler and leave them for days, until they floated up to the surface. He said they replaced that method with the introduction of injecting hams. He thinks the new methods are disgusting. That's probably true with all modern shortcuts. I'm sure somebody has first hand experience with your question. And don't never, ever, never worry about bothering anyone on this forum. Dat's what we pay deze folks fer. If dey don't produce, we take back their Eggs... Good luck with your ham.
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    cvsusn,
    I've never cooked a whole fresh ham on my Eggs, but I have a couple of time in the oven. 250 is a very low temp. unless you're prepared for a long, long burn! When I did them in the oven, I'd start them at 400 degrees for 1 hr. then cut the temperature back to 325 degrees and cruise at that for the remainder of the time. I'd figure 20 minutes a lb cooking time and add 30 minutes, to allow time to start the actual cooking of the meat. This was SOP for anything large, like a turkey, standing rib roast or large rolled roast. I'd check the temp (if you don't have a polder) starting about and hour before your target done time.
    If you're sure you want to cook at that low a temperature, I think you're gona need about 18 to 20 hours cooking time. Again, a polder will help emensely and keep you from over cooking it.[p]I hope this helps, but I'm not sure it will! You've hit a strange one that few of us have ventured into. [p]Good luck, and let us know how it comes out![p]Dr. Chicken

• Lee2
    Lee2 Posts: 38
    Options
    cvsusn,
    I bought a 10 lb boneless fresh ham last weekend and cut it in half. I'm curing half of it and cooked the other half like a regular pork roast. Ham is more tender than a butt or shoulder. I had a long experienced Q'er at work tell me to smoke the whole ham for about 6 hours at 220°. I'll take the half out of the pickle on Wednesday, let it dry a couple of days and probably smoke it on Saturday. Sure do wish I had some dried corn cobs.

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    I have brined hams for a couple of weeks in a solution of salt (where you float the egg or potato) and spices. Then smoke them for at least 12 hours. The lower the temp the better. This is not cooking this is just smoking. You get a traditional type ham with a real dark exterior and a mekt in your mouth taste. I Used to finishe mine in the oven with brown sugar or maple syrup. Probbly could adapt that to the egg. Don't be afraid to brine a little longer.[p]MAC

• Lee2
    Lee2 Posts: 38
    Options

MAC,
    I suppose this goes without saying, but just in case...a fresh ham is nothing more than a wonderful pork roast until it's cured and smoked.