Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of lamb - need input

Options
Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a leg of lamb yesterday - about 4 lbs (fresh) - 350 degrees and used a lot of smoke. The result (taken off medium) was rather tough and the smoky flavour maksed the true flavour of the lamb. Where did I go wrong - too much smoke ??? Too high a tempature ???[p]Brian

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Brian,
    I don't know specifically what happened, but the smoke did not cause the toughness. To me, lamb has its own wonderful flavors, and smoke would definitely alter or hide them. At what temp did you remove the meat? Cooking at 350 should have been fine along with stopping at a meat temp of 135. Did you do anything else to the meat before cooking?

• Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    Marvin, Prior to cooking I seasoned it up with garlic and rosemary etc - no marinating. You are right re the smoke in respect to the taste, it really didn't need the smoke. I cooked it direct on a v rack. [p]Brian [p]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Brian,
    To what internal temp? Direct cooking should require you to roll that leg around to get it evenly cooked. We cook all lamb, except chops and rack - which are cooked hot-n-fast, only indirectly to an internal temp of 135.