Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Extender

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently bought the grill extender. What is this ideal for? Will the food on the top layer cook slower than food on the bottom? I have seen Butts on top and brisket on the maid grid. What else do people find this is extremely useful for?
Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bnb.jpg
    <p />Wardster,[p]I use mine for multiple butts and or briskets, multiple layers of jerky or smoked fish and basically anything you want more of. These are all cooked indirect so they are done about the same time. I also use it to elevate the grill to cook thing like spatchcocked chicken. [p]I have done multiple layers of things like wings with a direct cook and yes you need to keep an eye on the layers cooking differently. [p]Have a great day.[p]Chuck <><

• Wardster
    Options
    Chuck,
    Wow, my extender is much cheaper than that. Mine is stainless steel and designed for much lighter duty. Oh well, I'm sure i'll find a use for it.
    THanks

Apollo Beach, FL
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    I find the extender to be a silly and unnecessary doodah. I bought it and I haven't used it twice in a year.
    It is awkward and about two times too clever to be useful.

• Chuck,[p]Where did you buy that grill extender? Looks like a good one.
  • Chuck
    Options
    Rob,
    I got mine at my BGE dealer. It is a BGE product and they make two different ones. The one in the photo is the hinged one, it allows access to whatever you are cooking on the lower level, you have to move whatever is cooking on it though. The other one I have has a fixed cooking surface. They are both pretty much the same guage metal, the hinged one may be a little lighter duty though. Hope you find one somewhere.[p]Chuck <><

• Chuck
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Is yours a BGE grid extender? Mine is stainless also, it just has a lot of smoke on it in the picture.

• Wardster
    Options
    Chuck,
    Gee, I dunno. I bought it from my local egg dealer, but it could be from some other company. I'll give it a shot.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Wardster,
    I find it useful in two ways: it raises the grill in the medium since the diameter is the same as the medium grill. That makes working on the food at rim level easier, and it reduces flare-ups and burning. The second use is as a place for a drip pan for indirect cooks in either the medium or the large (we use both).