Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Breast.....anyone have

Options
BamaFan
BamaFan Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
suggestions? I have a seven pounder to cook on Sunday.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here's one:::

Turkey, Breast, Smoked, Nipper's

After several experimentations, this is what I consider to be the best smoked turkey breast. And even better is when the turkey is gone, take the carcas and make smoked turkey stock--off the charts for soups and anything else you would normally use chicken/turkey stock for.

1 12 Lbs. fresh turkey breast
    2 1/2 cup Kosher Salt
    3 cup Pecan or Apple wood chips
    4 Tbs Unsalted butter, melted

Preparation Directions
    1 Trim off any excess skin and as much of the neck as you can.
    Brine
    1 Dissolve the kosher salt in 2 ½ gallons of cold water in a large stockpot. Place the turkey breast into the pot, cover, and put into the refrigerator or in a very cool place overnight.
    2 Soak the wood chips for at least an hour before using.
    3 Take the turkey breast out of the brine and rinse very well under cold water. Dry the breast thoroughly with paper towels and baste with the melted butter.
    Cooking Directions
    1 Place the prepared turkey breast onto the Egg breast side down. Regulate tempurature to 250 degees F. and cook for an hour.
    2 Turn the turkey breast over so it is now breast side up, and continue to cook at a regulated temperature of 250 degrees F., adding more wood chips if neccessary, for approximately 5 more hours, or until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees F. in the fattest part of the breast.
    3 Loosley tent with heavy duty aluminum foil for 30 minutes before slicing.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Bill Nipper cheznipper@aol.com

Source: BGE Forum, Bill Nipper, 12/25/05

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I don't do much to them Bama...maybe an injection if you really want a particular flavor...I just get em well defrosted, good and cool before you put 'er on.. evoo 'er up real good..then go with a mild smoke.. apple, cherry, even pecan..250-275 if you wanna cook er slow till 165-170 internal, foil and rest for 20 mins..
  • BamaFan
    Options
    Thought about the injection and will probably go with that method. Butter and jalapeno sounds about right. Thanks for the input.
  • BamaFan
    Options
    I saw that one in the recipe section. I will try it when I have time brine. Have a ton of things going on right now. Adding construction on my house and have a lot of work to do.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I do them at a higher temp - usually 325 or so, indirect, cherry or pecan (or both).

I rub them with butter and rub before cooking. I will sometimes inject them, sometimes not. Sometimes brine, sometimes not. Depends on if the producer was kind enough to do the injection ahead of time and charge me $4 a pound for salt water. It is getting hard to find turkey breasts (and even whole turkeys) that are not previously injected.

Then I wrap them tightly in foil and rest for an hour or so before carving. If slicing for lunch meat I chill them overnight.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    cook (smoke) per instructions on package, add cherry for color and another wood for flavor, thick end toward back of egg, indirect on raised grid. T

boonesfarm031.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Options
    That looks great; nice job.
    Oledog
  • Fencewire
    Fencewire Posts: 34
    Options
    If you are going to do the brine method, I strongly suggest boiling about half of the water and slowly adding the salt. I have brined turkeys the last two thanksgivings and this has turned out to be the best method. Of course, I'm brining about 10 turkeys every thanksgiving, so my methods are a little bit more about volume.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I did this for breast tenders, but I figure that it'd work fantastic for a full breast. It was amazing.
    Rub
    2 tble brown sugar
    1 tble sweet paprika
    2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp celery salt
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1.5 lbs turkey breast tenders

Maple butter basting mixture
    1/4 cup dark maple syrup (I will use a little more next time)
    4 tble melted butter
    Mix together

Rub the tenders and let sit anywhere from 2 hours to overnight in the fridge. I let them cure for about 3 hours and it seemed to be plenty.

I cooked these indirect at 250 until the tenders reached 160 degrees. I started basting when the internal temp of the bird was about 135 and probably basted them about 3 times.

Original recipe source: Steve Raichlen "BBQ USA"

If you like turkey, this was really good eating!