Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best lump charcoal?

Options
Dhilton
Dhilton Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i'm sure this has been covered tons of times but i'm just curious what you guys find is you're favorite charcoal for the egg. i've had mine about a month and my bag of bge is out. i'm going to try something new this time around.
any recommendations?

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    A question everyone asks sooner or later - check out nakedwhiz.com for the quintessential lump database. I personally use Ozark Oak which the whiz likes, but it's also very convenient for me to buy. Good luck!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    hard to beat ozark oak or maple leaf for smell and flavor. mapleleaf is only in canada. i use wicked good comp blend, but thats nolonger available.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    sorta depends on what you are doing with it.

royal oak is a great all-round lump. BGE lump is literally the same as RO, as Royal Oak makes BGE lump.

cowboy lights very fast and burns fast and hot very quickly. i like it for steaks and most short cooks. it CAN go overnight without issue, but usually i prefer a denser lump for that (RO/BGE).

weekend warrior is very dense. some folks find it hard to light because it is so dense.

i frankly feel that any lump can work well in any cook. you just don't want a lot of ash, but no lump produces as much ash as briquettes.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    When I bought the egg, I picked up a bag of BGE. Since then, I have been using Maple Leaf and I have found it to be equally as good at half the price.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Carnivor T
    Carnivor T Posts: 53
    Options
    Maple Leaf all the way !

I live in Montreal :)

$14.36 a 20 pounder

Royal Oak at Wall-Mart is ok, large chunk but smell is is not as good as -La feuille d*Erable-Maple Leaf

Did 2 inches rib steaks on my BGE last tuesday, with selected largest chunk of my maple Leaf lumps, dome at 700F for searing. great stuff !
  • Carnivor T
    Options
    Monsieur Charles,

Where do you buy your Maple Leaf Lump in US. And why isn
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    When I bought the egg, I picked up a bag of BGE. Since then, I have been using Maple Leaf and I have found it to be equally as good at half the price.

Tom

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Carnivor T
    Options
    Charles,

La feuille d
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wicked Good Charcoal that is. Weekend Warrior to be specific. What else?
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Bonjour mon ami à Montréal

Actually, I live in Ottawa and Rona carries Maple Leaf lump. I am happy to hear your views about Royal Oak as I have wondered if the RO here is the same as that in the US ... at Canadian Tire it is in blue bags while the Naked Whiz site shows it in red.

Tom

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I'm liking the Ozark Oak a lot over the Royal Oak, but if it'll burn and I'm out of OO, I'm throwing whatever I can get into the cooker. OK, maybe not the Kingsford stuff. Or B&B. ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Just tried this generic one last weekend and found it to be close to RO & BGE lump but cheaper from the dealer but not cheaper than the $5:80 for #10 RO at wally world. It is distributed thru chigger creek but dont know who makes it but it burns nice.

101_2016.jpg
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    For the price...Royal Oak wins !
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    Options
    just made a run to publix for meat and all they had for lump was their own brand "Greenwise" all natural. No review on the Wiz. :unsure: Anybody use this yet?
  • Squash
    Squash Posts: 37
    Options
    Local groceries just started carrying a lump called Full Circle. They make a lot of organics. The lump is great. Lots of big chunks. I pay 4.99 for an 8.8 lb bag.
  • Squash
    Squash Posts: 37
    Options
    Local groceries just started carrying a lump called Full Circle. They make a lot of organics. The lump is great. Lots of big chunks. I pay 4.99 for an 8.8 lb bag.