Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Weather and the Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have recently purchased a second home at Lake Tahoe and have discovered the Big Green Egg. Are there any concerns about the BGE and cold weather (really cold)? Can the BGE be left out on the deck all winter and used periodically. Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.[p]Thanks!!!

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Heather Renschler,
    No concerns. Yes, it can be left out, but I would try to cover it if your gone for some time...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Heather Renschler,
    In the winter you might want to put a piece of cardboard between the dome and the base so the gasket does not freeze together.
    New Bob

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Heather Renschler,
    Here in Southern New England it doesn't get as cold at Tahoe but it gets cold none the less. I've had Mr. Egg four years now and keep him covered when he isn't in use. We cook on him 2 - 3 times a week in the winter. Don't worry. Fire up Mr. Egg toss a Boston Butt ot two in and make your neighbors crazy! On the cold winter air there's nothing that smells better than that!!!
    Enjoy. And welcome.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Heather Renschler, the ceramic cookers don`t care if it is 40 below or 40º above.....they work the same in both.
    [/b]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Heather Renschler,
    Here in Colorado I cook year-round on my Eggs, even when I have to shovel a path to them. If you're not using your Egg on such a regular basis, I'd think you would want to make some provision to keep the dome from freezing to the body; the cardboard mentioned below should work fine. Enjoy your year-round cooker!