Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Out of rub for pulled pork

Options
CT Grillguy
CT Grillguy Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have run out of Dizzy Dust Coarse and have to do two Butts on Sunday. Dizzy Pig can't get them to me fast enough and I'm not willing to pay the overnight anyway. Anyone have a recipe for Rub that I could make?

I have some Redeye Express, Swamp Venom, Raising the Steaks, Cowlick, 1/4 bottle of regular Dizzy Dust, and a box of sugar in the raw.

Thanks.

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Here's one I have used numerous times from the Bareque Bible by Steven Raichlen

Memphis rub

1/4 c paprika
    1 Tbls granulated sugar
    2 tsp Salt
    2 tsp Accent (optional,I never use it)
    1 tsp Celery Salt
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    1-3 tsp Cayenne Pepper
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp galic powder
    1 tsp onion powder

Also the one in the Green Egg manual is pretty good.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    look for elderwards, jj's or wessb has a good version on his site if you want to make a rub. with what you have you could make a good rub mixing the sugar, the regular dust and some swamp venom
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree! Former egger Gfw turned this board on to that rub recipe.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I used Drbbq's recipe for big time rub and was very happy with it. -RP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Emeril's original Essence will do in a pinch.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    elder wards/JJs is basically what i use. now i just mix it on the fly and alter it depending on what mood i'm in. much cheaper to mix your own i think. i use dizzy pig's stuff on steaks, fish, etc. but for butts and ribs, i go with a down and dirty rub most of the time. i'd use a whole bottle of chris's stuff on a couple butts. that could cut into my gin money rather fast over the summer!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • CT Grillguy
    Options
    I'm going to go with this. I blended the Dizzy Dust with slightly less than equal parts of the sugar and Swamp Venom. Smells very good just hope it's not too spicy for my church choir folks!

Thanks guys!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    its going to mellow alot during the cook, you could also pull it into two containers, one with more bark and have a regular pull and a spicier one.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it