Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boneless prime rib

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 7 lb. boneless prime rib (that is what the package says) and was wondering about time and temp. Am thinking 2.5 hours atg 350. Have to make wives and kids happy so can't be TO rare (as i like it). What do youe think? You have always been helpful. Thanks, tstick

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Tom Stickney,[p]Try the link below. It takes a little time but makes a great roast and is real impressive. Just did another one one last week.
    B D

[ul][li]Prime Rib Roast[/ul]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Tom,[p]I continue to prepare this cut of meat as follows. There is quite a bit of fat in this roast, so low and slow is the ideal way to prepare...similar to ribs or brisket, except for the finished temps. Recently, Cook's Illustrated has chosen this method as the best way to prepare this expensive cut of meat.[p]Sear over high heat for 10 minutes. This will start the Maillard reaction(carmelization) and will make the roast look very nice and browned. You can do this in any number of ways.....
    Over the burners on your stove....place the roast in a large pan and sear each side for about 5 minutes.
    I use my gasser and sear over high heat, 500-550º for 10 minutes.[p]This process will render out about a 1/2 cup of fat.[p]Once seared, I move to my WSM(I have also used the oven when no cooker is available) and slow cook at 200º. I prefer to use NO smoke, but that is personal.[p]It will take approx. 30 minutes per pound to get to 125-135º. So, a 7 pound roast will take about 3 1/2 hours. I have never done a boneless one, so the times may be a bit different. Be sure to tent with foil and let sit for 20 minutes. The temp will rise another 5-10º so take that into consideration.[p]I strongly suggest you take copius notes so you know EXACTLY what you did and can either fix any problems OR duplicate great results. This meat is expensive, so experimenting can be costly.[p]Good Luck![p]Stogie