Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Son of Egret Sourdough

Options
EmandM'sDad
EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got a chance to post the photos of the first sourdough from the starter that Egret sent me.

20081221mcb.jpg

Temperature of the egg had fallen off a little as it was at the end of a 4 butt cook and I was almost out of lump.So the color was a little on the pale side, but the flavor and texture rocked!! Made several since and it just keeps getting better.Thanks again John.
Mike

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Mike:

That does look fantastic. I have some of that starter also, but haven't had time to get it going. Maybe next week :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Did egret send it to you in liquid form? Once you get it, how do you keep it from going bad? I have heard of people keeping the starter going for years but if you only bake bread once in a while I would think the starter would either go bad or die out.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I was reading about how to make a sourdough start. It's doable but seems like a lot of work.

Once going, it was said it had to be used once a week. I would think not many people do that.

GG
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Lookin' good, Mike! I've baked a lot of these on the egg, but, since I do so many at one time it's easier to do them in the oven where I do two at a time. Really can't tell much difference in the flavor either way. I've got a bunch going now that will yield 16-18 loaves when they're baked Friday. Keep up the good work, my friend......
  • egret
    Options
    I sent it to Mike in the dried form. All you have to do is re-hydrate it when you are ready to start. This starter is probably over 150 years old. I have several dried batches that I keep as a backup. I use mine a lot so I don't have the problem of it going bad between baking sessions. I do refresh it every 12-14 days if I'm not going to do a bread run. If you just used it every so often, like most people would, you could dry it out between sessions so you don't have to keep feeding it.
  • egret
    Options
    Hey Kent,
    See my answer above...... :lol:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Interesting...

How do you go about drying what you have, or drying some out so you have a good viable 'dry start'?

Is there any special way to rehydrate if?

How do you care for the dry and how do you care for the wet?

I guess the first question should have been, what is a good SD Bread Recipe?

Thanks, Kent
  • egret
    Options
    I dry it by spreading out about 1 and 1/2 cups of the starter on a piece of parchment paper. It takes 3 or 4 days to completely dry out. I, then, break it into small pieces and vacuum seal it. I store the dried version in the same cabinet I store all my rubs, etc.
    The instructions I sent Mike has the recipe and everything else you need to get started.......
  • Pitmaster
    Pitmaster Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi All,
    I have a starter that is 250 years old, from the Northwest (I think Oregon). It is recommended that if you don't use it every week, that you feed it. You do this by removing a cup of the starter, and mixing in to the remaining starter equal amounts of flour and water. I have forgoten about it for up to a month and fed it and it is still going strong. I have had this for 6 years now.

It makes wonderful presents and I throw in homemade Meyer Lemon marmalade!
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Can you tell if the starter has gone bad? Does it get that red or black tinge that shows a bad mold is growing in the starter or does it get a really bad smell?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Jim,

make a new topic post with your question. This thread is getting pretty far down in the pages.

I would be interested to know also.

Kent